EMHAR 1/72 MKIV Male questions

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

EMHAR 1/72 MKIV Male questions

November 1st, 2004, 8:21 pm #1

Hello -

Currently building this model. I want to scratch-build some "cleats" for the tracks, not the torpedoes and not the square grousers. Anyone have a link of a good, clear picture of one?

Also, does anyone else think that the decals, speifically for "F56 Fantan" are way too big?

Thanks
I'll post some pics when it's done.

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

November 2nd, 2004, 9:15 am #2

I won't go into my intense dislike for this kit!

OK...Cleats

I take it you mean the sort of triangular grousers seen from Arras onwards? Good drawings in and old IPMS mag, and you'll find a nice picture in Following teh TAnks, amongst others. The Matador 1/76th tracks are spot on.

As to Markings - War Diaries for Passcehedaele led me to conclude this:

"Three Tank Brigades were employed during the period from 31st July until 10th November. Although photographic evidence is relatively sparse, there is documentatry evidence to show the names and numbers used on tanks at this time, and in some cases actual evidence or marking practice. Importantly, amongst this evidence is an order at the level of Fifth Army requiring all tanks operating in its area to have their

..tank numbers painted on top of the tanks

and to display an 18inchx18inch (45.7cm) white square when “ditched”. Supported by evidence at Brigade and Battalion level, this establishes that all three brigades employed at Third Ypres would have had this basic set of markings"

C Battalion - On July 15th 1917 Preliminary Instruction No9 ordered:

“In addition to the number already painted on tanks the tank number will be painted in
white on top of the cab, 18 inches high. Lettering to be 2 inches in breadth”

So 18ins tall in 72nd would give you a good basis.

F used names on the nose but also in some cases on teh side of the tank. In addition for Passchendaele they ordered that al section commanders should carry a 2ft square flag on a 4ft stick to use when rallying their sections, and re stated the instruction for tanks to use an 18inch white square to tell aircraft that they were ditched . Although not stated, it seems from a Corps conference on 25-26 October that the flag would have been in the Battalon Colours – red and yellow – divided horizontally .

I'm not clear that 2730 (Crew number F56 at Passchedaele)was the lead tank for No12 Section at this time, and I'd have a good look at "Following the tanks" for her use at Cambrai.

Mike

November 2nd, 2004, 7:08 pm #3

Thanks Mike for pointing me to "Following the Tanks", I'll check it out.
The kit has problems, no doubt about it, but, well, what else is there?
I've definitely seen worse...

I've fitted the Matador sponsons, which left large gaps that were impossible to fill smoothly. I just built a new "box" to go over the muffler. Unfortunately I tried to fill the gas tank that glues onto the back entirely with putty and it sort of "melted". I learned a lesson there. Guess I'll have to build that as well, may as well make the applique rear armor while I'm at it...

Thanks again for the references.

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

November 3rd, 2004, 9:00 am #4

..try the Airfix "WW1 Tank" with the Matador after market bits - you get a model that is fundamentally accurate in outline, has the right sponsons and nice detail.

Well...I like it!

"Following the tanks" is a must BUT in some instances the authors may have made assumptions in their tank lists that may not be borne out by after action reports. I'm checking this, but it isn't a major problem I think, and more than balanced by the overall approach and presentation.

Please don't paint your Mk IV green!

Best of luck/skill

Seen Banshee on the WW1 Modeling site?
http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Cooper ... index.html - she's the Airfix machine with the Matador resin bits and bobs of my own.

I'm a bit stuck on 1/76th, but if you aren't hung up on 1/72nd do try this way.

Let me know if I can help any more - look forward to seeing teh result.

Lurve Mk IVs to pieces!

Mike

November 3rd, 2004, 1:05 pm #5

Hello -

Currently building this model. I want to scratch-build some "cleats" for the tracks, not the torpedoes and not the square grousers. Anyone have a link of a good, clear picture of one?

Also, does anyone else think that the decals, speifically for "F56 Fantan" are way too big?

Thanks
n/t

Regards from Canada.
Francois Gousse
Forum moderator

November 3rd, 2004, 10:43 pm #6

..try the Airfix "WW1 Tank" with the Matador after market bits - you get a model that is fundamentally accurate in outline, has the right sponsons and nice detail.

Well...I like it!

"Following the tanks" is a must BUT in some instances the authors may have made assumptions in their tank lists that may not be borne out by after action reports. I'm checking this, but it isn't a major problem I think, and more than balanced by the overall approach and presentation.

Please don't paint your Mk IV green!

Best of luck/skill

Seen Banshee on the WW1 Modeling site?
http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Cooper ... index.html - she's the Airfix machine with the Matador resin bits and bobs of my own.

I'm a bit stuck on 1/76th, but if you aren't hung up on 1/72nd do try this way.

Let me know if I can help any more - look forward to seeing teh result.

Lurve Mk IVs to pieces!

Mike
Hi -

I considered the AirFix kit, but since everything else I'm working on is 1/72 I wanted to stick to this scale. It's odd though, the Matador sponsons are advertised as a conversion for the Airfix kit or an upgrade for the Emhar kit, yet each kit is in a different scale. I assume the sponsons must be 1/76, which might explain the gaps when installed on the Emhar kit. Otherwise it looks alright. Rivets seem a bit too big.

I'm going with slightly darkened "English Khaki" for the body but I'm not sure what color to use on the tracks - it seems they may have been a medium grey color?

Nice models, I especially like the supply tank...

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

November 4th, 2004, 10:41 am #7

I wouldn't fuss about tracks. All photos I've seen show them the colour of whatever they're walking through! (Best not pondered!)

My Supply uses a chalky dust for teh Somme summer 1918, whereas Banshee should be a chalky muddy mess for Cambrai.

All I do is run some black watercolour between them and teh hull, then paint them the basic ground tone. After that they get mud/earth and a scruffing. I'm not sure what they came out of the factor in, but I'm afairly happy that Mother's were bare metal.

Check out teh use of asbestos string on teh exhausts of mk IVs - they run just where you'd like to put your hand if you get out of the rear hatch!

I think Matador's 1/72nd spnsosn may be 1/76th, and I take your point. Like me in 1/76th if you're in 1/72nd you go with what you've got BUT I'm afraid I just don't think the Emhar looks right now I know it to be (in my terms) so out. They fit fine on an Airfix kit - the Supply sponsons were a surprisingly easy scratch

Basic colour doesn't have much green in it as far as I can tell. It's a brown, rather than the colour of uniforms. I used Humbrol 29 + touch 98 on the Supply and a mix of Revell as per WW2 SCC2 on Banshee. Out of the pot I'd go for 29 and matt varnish.

Sorry to belabour this, but for some reason people have been reluctant to accept that the beasties are brown, and not green or "khaki" (as in Humbrol 159 or 26).

Let me know if you need to know more - let's cover tables with MkIvs!

So after all that, are you doing Fantan? You'll find fun alternatives in Following the Tanks. My Male is Fighting Mac II. Must do another...

Mike Cooper
Bright and nice Reading UK, Coffee time...

Phil Radley
Phil Radley

November 6th, 2004, 1:27 pm #8

Hello -

Thanks
photo i found in the Australian War Memorial. its odd because it seems to be a mk1 male. or i suppose it could be a mk2 male. any way its got long 6 pdrs and track extenders

&.src=ph

Phil

Phil Radley
Phil Radley

November 6th, 2004, 1:34 pm #9

well my little collection of pics should, in theory, be available to the public. for some reason its not posting here. if you feel so inclined you can try find it. use the terms 'yahoo' 'photos' 'philthydirtyanimal'. maybe you could tell me where i went wrong!!!

Tom Sime
Tom Sime

November 7th, 2004, 1:52 am #10

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/philth ... a2&.src=ph

This link takes you to Phils album of 41 nice images-cool collection Phil.

Tom