Emerson TOW Turret - best 1/35 option?

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Emerson TOW Turret - best 1/35 option?

May 15th, 2012, 5:41 pm #1

Looking at building an M901 in 1/35 scale at some point in the future.

I could buy an Academy M981 (and modify it) or the Italeri/Revell 901 (not outstanding but OK), but with the Trumpeter LAV-AT also available, I wondered if the Trumpeter turret is a better starting point?

I already have a spare M113 (or three) - don't 'need' another one so I'm thinking outside the box

Thanks in advance,
John

May 15th, 2012, 6:55 pm #2

I remember them doing a TOW or at least a M981 turret back in the 1980's/1990s....might be another option

Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.
Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

May 15th, 2012, 7:33 pm #3

I could buy an Academy M981 (and modify it) or the Italeri/Revell 901 (not outstanding but OK), but with the Trumpeter LAV-AT also available, I wondered if the Trumpeter turret is a better starting point?

I already have a spare M113 (or three) - don't 'need' another one so I'm thinking outside the box

Thanks in advance,
John
http://www.perfect-scale.de/Conversion- ... rsion.html

Cheers,
/E

May 15th, 2012, 7:49 pm #4

Thanks in advance,
John
Guys - thanks for the suggestions but they are not what I'm after.

It's my own fault as I should have said I much prefer to use plastic rather than resin. That's why I'm looking at plastic donor options - it's just a material I feel more comfortable with.

Scott - yes, Verlinden did a 901 back in the day. I still have the remains of one in my spares collection (cupola and smaller details), but not the actual hammerhead unit. It was a really nice piece of casting.

Regards,
John

May 16th, 2012, 1:30 am #5

Thanks in advance,
John
Both the Italeri and Academy turrets are about the same. The Academy kit comes with all the extras to make a standard M113 as well, so you could still use the rest of the kit. It also has a bunch of gear and a couple figures.

Gino P. Quintiliani

Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!

HeavyArty's Showcase

Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

May 16th, 2012, 5:30 am #6

Thanks in advance,
John
The best one out there in plastic at this time, is the one that comes in the Trumpeter LAV-AT. The only problem is nobody has got the cupola part right. Evey manufacture makes it undersize and the hatch way too small.