Egyptian T62 with rocket launchers and ATGW

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.
Robert Lockie
Robert Lockie

February 20th, 2003, 6:03 pm #11

The Egyptians do have a history of adding smoke rockets to T-62, so they would make sense - doubtless for ATGW suppression or local smokesreening.

ATGW makes less sense, given the conflict between the role of tanks and ATGW launchers and the fact that there are several of them on the tank. Would the crew have time to be messing about with ATGW in battle? And they aren't exactly well protected...

Peter Holst
Peter Holst

February 21st, 2003, 7:03 am #12

I think you’re right regarding the smoke rocket. I remember an old article in Mil Mod by Vasco Barbic explaining different T-62 versions. He presents a SAKR modified T-62 with two types of smoke rocket. And there is an article in Military in Scale where he builds one of them. Really cool. Barbic did a lot of very good work on Egypt armour during the eighties and early nineties. Hope someone will release his “Complete work” someday.

/Peter Holst

Steven Welch
Steven Welch

February 21st, 2003, 8:54 am #13

Yes I think you are all right - smoke launchers to suppress incoming ATGW is probably the most logical explanation. AS u say, there is no way a tank crew will have time to fire ATGW especially in a cramped and noisy T62!! Also if the concept of mounting ATGW did actually have merit I guess the modern tanks would have such an arangement rather like the AMX-13 with SS11.

Cheers

Thank you all for the help!

Steven