Ebay

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Ebay

May 20th, 2012, 7:54 pm #1

Now before I go and ask the seller, I want peoples opinions before I email him.

I have checked the item descriptions on each item, and it states "Postage discounts available on multiple purchases"
Well after winning all 3 DML figure sets I bid on, I get the invoice and its 10%..so each items postage was £3, so £9.
So a 90p discount on £9 postage, for 3 small DML boxes, I am paying 8.10...that sound a bit excessive to anyone else?
He never mentions that its 10% in the listings anywhere.Only when I get the invoice I am told its a 10% discount...

I know Ebay ain't the place to pick up a bargain anymore, but if I had known the discount was going to be that small, I wouldn't have bid, and since the discount is only made known after I have won on the invoice...I dont like making a fuss and I should just man up and take the hit, I just cant help think I am being stiffed on the postage.

Jon
Last edited by JonGreenwood on May 20th, 2012, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 20th, 2012, 8:03 pm #2

usually when they say they have shipping discount for multiple items. If you're basically being charged the same shipping (less 10%) for each item, that's not much of a discount when it'll cost the same to send one item as it would to send all three. He could have charged you 5 pds and still made money on shipping.

Of course your recourse is to slam him on the shipping portion of the feedback.

RobG
RobG

May 21st, 2012, 12:09 am #3

I have checked the item descriptions on each item, and it states "Postage discounts available on multiple purchases"
Well after winning all 3 DML figure sets I bid on, I get the invoice and its 10%..so each items postage was £3, so £9.
So a 90p discount on £9 postage, for 3 small DML boxes, I am paying 8.10...that sound a bit excessive to anyone else?
He never mentions that its 10% in the listings anywhere.Only when I get the invoice I am told its a 10% discount...

I know Ebay ain't the place to pick up a bargain anymore, but if I had known the discount was going to be that small, I wouldn't have bid, and since the discount is only made known after I have won on the invoice...I dont like making a fuss and I should just man up and take the hit, I just cant help think I am being stiffed on the postage.

Jon
I would look at what the total postage is that he gives you, versus what it would cost to ship said items. Depending on where he is mailing the boxes the 8 GBP might not be unreasonable even though he offered a 10% discount which doesn't seem like a whole lot. If his postage was fairly reasonable to start with, he may not be able to discount a lot without having to pay the postage for you.
DAVID NICKELS

May 21st, 2012, 6:23 pm #4

Jon
Hi Jon

Having brought many items on ebay I've found you are completely at the generosity of the seller when it comes to multi purchase discounts. I mostly just pay up if the total price of items and postage is reasonable.

UK postage has gone up a silly amount and the problem is many buyers equate business postage with private sellers. Many on-line stories charge a blanket £3.50 for example no matter how much you order. Private sellers usually have to go to more effort to send an item, apart from getting suitable packing material, getting to the post office can be difficult.

Having said that why not drop a friendly message to the seller, expressing your surprise at the minimal amount reduced suggesting maybe £5 - £6.00 would be a fairer amount in your opinion, and an amount you'd be happy to pay and "leave positive feedback for". See how that goes.

Alan

May 22nd, 2012, 7:00 am #5

Jon
Jon,

I'm not sure how this seller calculated the shipping costs but please keep in mind that a lot of postal services here in Europe have a rather high shipping rate for small parcels.

Have a look athttp://www.royalmail.com/price-finder

I did a quick check for a parcel up to 500 grams going to the USA and already came up with 7,98 GBP so the seller might not be to much off and probably rounds it up to save some pennies for packaging material.

I'm currently working out a shipment of a small kit (400-500 grams) heading to Canada and I have to pay 17,10 Euro for that. Sure I can ship up to 2 kilo for that rate but I don't need that.

It's a pain in the but how the companies handle the rates but I guess the small parcels are the majority of the shipments so by keeping that price up they make more money.

Gr,
Marcel

http://kits.kolsteeg.net/sale

May 22nd, 2012, 9:01 am #6

Jon
Well I did what Alan suggested and he knocked too much off now.....I still ain't happy as its too little... , oh well, I'll now have to add a few quid to make it up to him LOL.

I have 8 auctions going myself, and I checked what the postage is for me to send my packages, Royal Mail seems to have tidied up the price bands, which is a lot easier for me, as its a bit more simpler to get an estimate.

I still dont get how its cheaper for Lucky to send me kits from Hong Kong to the UK, when its more expensive to send stuff within the UK, to another adress within the UK.

Jon

May 22nd, 2012, 10:27 am #7

Jon
I heard that the Chinese government subsidizes shipping cost to push the export so that might be a reason why China based companies are able to send out parcels so cheap.

Gr,
Marcel

http://kits.kolsteeg.net/sale