Earliest model PzKpfw III in North Africa

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Earliest model PzKpfw III in North Africa

August 12th, 2012, 6:01 pm #1

If I wanted to buy a 1/72 model of a PzKpfw III suitable for the 5th Light Armoured Division in March 1941. Say an Ausf F, which brand would you suggest?

Thanks in advance,
David.

August 12th, 2012, 6:18 pm #2

I suggest Ken Overby's Pz III E wich is an excellent base for a Pz III E/F/G/H. (see my post below in the weekly update) I do not know about the detail on the models by Attack but the drive and idler wheels look very useful.

From working on the PzBef III E (and K/H) I learnt that when making a correct Pz III variant you need to have a very clear pic of the original and stick with all the details you can find on that particular vehicle. Even the basic variants like the E/F/G and H were updated over-and-over again with lots of details and parts cross-over !
I have looked over well known pics 10 times over and missing a crucial detail, only to see it the 11th time I looked...(but I may need better glasses for that matter...)

Can you show me a picture of the one you want to build ? I may be of more help with that.

Regards, Alfred

August 12th, 2012, 10:34 pm #3

Alfred.

Thank you for your input.

I don't have a specific example in mind yet. I am just at the preliminary stage, and am collecting photographs, and seeking advice on a good kit to buy, as the Ausf F does not seem as well served in the 1/72 scale as many of the other MkIII types.
In the past I have sourced G, H & L.
J is tricky too.

August 13th, 2012, 12:28 am #4

I suggest Ken Overby's Pz III E wich is an excellent base for a Pz III E/F/G/H. (see my post below in the weekly update) I do not know about the detail on the models by Attack but the drive and idler wheels look very useful.

From working on the PzBef III E (and K/H) I learnt that when making a correct Pz III variant you need to have a very clear pic of the original and stick with all the details you can find on that particular vehicle. Even the basic variants like the E/F/G and H were updated over-and-over again with lots of details and parts cross-over !
I have looked over well known pics 10 times over and missing a crucial detail, only to see it the 11th time I looked...(but I may need better glasses for that matter...)

Can you show me a picture of the one you want to build ? I may be of more help with that.

Regards, Alfred
I'd go with the G myself... Or convert an E to a command tank with dummy gun, antenna, etc.
DAVID NICKELS

August 13th, 2012, 4:36 am #5

If I wanted to buy a 1/72 model of a PzKpfw III suitable for the 5th Light Armoured Division in March 1941. Say an Ausf F, which brand would you suggest?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Panzer III G is you rbest bet even Geaorge Bradford claims there were fs in africa that were originally destined to the 3rd panzer and were diverted to the 5th Light. I have no photo evidence of Fs but then my DAK reference is lacking. see below 3 example pics of Gs in Africa.

the pic below is my PZ-III E that I ended up scraping because I did not like how the Forward top plate and Transmission hatches turned out, which I had to stratch build . this was a little too much of a project for my skill level. I used 3 kits to build this. Attack - I used the turret and drive sprockets and gun , revell PZ IIIM - I used the fenders, modified the copula, the rear grated bins,tracks antenna base and Side turret hatches. Trumpeter Stug III - I used the return rollers, Idler wheel, bogies, the entire rear and chassis,the antenna trough I used a PZ IV Photo etch set. And I based my build off of a 1/35th scale Dragon smart kit instructions. I also used line drawings from George Bradford and scale them down to 1/72nd, I cut out the hatch opening on the one side of the turret for the gunner. So this was no small project it took a year to complete then I cut the top of my index finger off with exacto blade towards the end of the project and really never finished it. But in the end I did not like the forward part where I had to scratch build. the other problem is my figure building and painting skill is much better then my modelling skill because I spent the last 30 years painting and building 1/35th scale to 15mm figures so my modelling skill has to catch up.

I suggest you try to find a dragon 1/35th scale PZ-III G Desert version instruction and base it off that. the PZ-III g used in Africa has different rear deck air intakes as well and has a rear deck rack for jerry cans.

If I decide to try to tackle an F or an E again I look into getting the conversion that is made by a german company which comes with metal 37mm barrel and look into the Dragon PZ-III and use the Attack turret since it is Hollow, I received trumpters early PZ-III Drive Sprockets from a friend that came with his Nashorn kit which i will incorporate as well.

Sorry for the long winded response

Last edited by reesej on August 13th, 2012, 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 13th, 2012, 4:49 am #6

On the trumpter stug I had to reposition the return rollers to be evenly spaced and I added photo etched anti skid plate on the fenders

August 13th, 2012, 6:44 am #7

Thanks in advance,
David.
For an Ausf G either First Air or MR Model might be a good starting point:

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/F ... _build.htm
http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/M ... z3Grev.htm

HTH
R

<a href="http://www.onthewaymodels.com/" rel="nofollow">

</a>

August 13th, 2012, 12:17 pm #8

Panzer III G is you rbest bet even Geaorge Bradford claims there were fs in africa that were originally destined to the 3rd panzer and were diverted to the 5th Light. I have no photo evidence of Fs but then my DAK reference is lacking. see below 3 example pics of Gs in Africa.

the pic below is my PZ-III E that I ended up scraping because I did not like how the Forward top plate and Transmission hatches turned out, which I had to stratch build . this was a little too much of a project for my skill level. I used 3 kits to build this. Attack - I used the turret and drive sprockets and gun , revell PZ IIIM - I used the fenders, modified the copula, the rear grated bins,tracks antenna base and Side turret hatches. Trumpeter Stug III - I used the return rollers, Idler wheel, bogies, the entire rear and chassis,the antenna trough I used a PZ IV Photo etch set. And I based my build off of a 1/35th scale Dragon smart kit instructions. I also used line drawings from George Bradford and scale them down to 1/72nd, I cut out the hatch opening on the one side of the turret for the gunner. So this was no small project it took a year to complete then I cut the top of my index finger off with exacto blade towards the end of the project and really never finished it. But in the end I did not like the forward part where I had to scratch build. the other problem is my figure building and painting skill is much better then my modelling skill because I spent the last 30 years painting and building 1/35th scale to 15mm figures so my modelling skill has to catch up.

I suggest you try to find a dragon 1/35th scale PZ-III G Desert version instruction and base it off that. the PZ-III g used in Africa has different rear deck air intakes as well and has a rear deck rack for jerry cans.

If I decide to try to tackle an F or an E again I look into getting the conversion that is made by a german company which comes with metal 37mm barrel and look into the Dragon PZ-III and use the Attack turret since it is Hollow, I received trumpters early PZ-III Drive Sprockets from a friend that came with his Nashorn kit which i will incorporate as well.

Sorry for the long winded response

You probably have to rework the sprockets as the Nashorn used the later 40cm track and the Panzer III E/F/G with the early sprocket would have had the early narrow track. I went through some work in 1/35 with Dragon's Panzer III G as they gave a new sprocket and track but things didnt line up with the roadwheels.
DAVID NICKELS

August 13th, 2012, 11:10 pm #9

I'd go with the G myself... Or convert an E to a command tank with dummy gun, antenna, etc.
I have already built a "G" and a Bef "E".
Last edited by David Wormell on August 13th, 2012, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 13th, 2012, 11:17 pm #10

For an Ausf G either First Air or MR Model might be a good starting point:

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/F ... _build.htm
http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/M ... z3Grev.htm

HTH
R

<a href="http://www.onthewaymodels.com/" rel="nofollow">

</a>

Guys,
Just to clarify....
I understood that the earliest arrivals in N.A with 5th Leichte were both Ausf F & G. If correct, I wanted to build the "F", as I already have built an Attack "H".