Duxford show today - turretless Stuart

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Duxford show today - turretless Stuart

June 17th, 2012, 5:54 pm #1

Nice muddy display today
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

11a

June 17th, 2012, 6:06 pm #2

Spotted this on one of the tables

[/IMG]

Al

June 18th, 2012, 7:42 am #3

Nice muddy display today
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
I notice the Duxford vehicle has more of the roof cut away than the conversion sets available in 1:35.

Is the Duxford version the 17pdr gun tractor variant?

Tom

June 18th, 2012, 8:54 am #4

yes it is - like so many of the UK M5A1 survivors - although most have had the turret replaced or in some cases, fabricated.

That one has been at Duxford since the earliest days.

June 18th, 2012, 3:50 pm #5

My dads regiment 1st Derbyshire yeomanry used turretless Stuarts for reccce purposes mounted with a .30 cal. Have a couple if pics taken in Italy showing the fronts of the Stuarts - one has the ex world championship boxer Primo Carnera posing with the crew - he cycled out to greet them.

June 18th, 2012, 8:39 pm #6

Hi
Recce Stu's are my next project, although I plan to do the conversion with solid cover and hatches cut in, Poles did them in Italy. I don't know if these were also used in NWE...

Pics would be appreciated.

Cheers
Andrew

June 18th, 2012, 10:40 pm #7

Nice muddy display today
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Hi Neil,
Thank for sharing this photos...
I was interested for many time in this vehicle...As the most of times, the project continues in the wardrobe...
I ask me if you have any photo showing the interior of this type of turretless Stuart...I have some old pics showing turretless M5 stuart in Suez in 1956...even there's a photo showing turretless M3 ready to be used in service in the same conflict...But most interesting is the M5 version, so if you have more pics for sharing...they will be very wellcomed...

Thanks in advance
Jordi

June 19th, 2012, 4:43 pm #8

Jordi

I took a few pics of the inside of the Duxford gun tractor a year or two back (not outstandingly successfully, but they may help) and will post them later when I have more time.

I once saw a picture of such a Stuart Gun Tractor complete with 17 pdr in an LCT on the way to Suez. I have searched (or bought) every book on Suez that I have seen since then, but have not turned up that pic. If you have it, and can post it or send it (I expect you can work out my address, just put @ instead of the other stuff), I will be eternally grateful.

Chris

June 19th, 2012, 4:48 pm #9

Hi Neil,
Thank for sharing this photos...
I was interested for many time in this vehicle...As the most of times, the project continues in the wardrobe...
I ask me if you have any photo showing the interior of this type of turretless Stuart...I have some old pics showing turretless M5 stuart in Suez in 1956...even there's a photo showing turretless M3 ready to be used in service in the same conflict...But most interesting is the M5 version, so if you have more pics for sharing...they will be very wellcomed...

Thanks in advance
Jordi
Took these years ago at Duxford

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

June 19th, 2012, 10:28 pm #10

...much better than mine, but this one may be useful to connect the two ends of it!

Chris

[/IMG]