DS track gluing Q?

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

DS track gluing Q?

May 31st, 2012, 1:29 am #1

Almost ready to glue my first set of DS tracks for a DV Sherman. The track seem a bit long to me. What type of glue works best? If I cut off a few links what would be the best way to attach them? I figure the best place would be bottom run under a road wheel.
Suggestions welcome!

Stephen J. Pringle

May 31st, 2012, 3:23 am #2

Works great and yes, you have to trim off 2 or 3 links. Leave pads on the side with the holes and trim off the pads on the other side leaving the end connectors... after 2+ years still hold together very well. Note! I would not use enamels to paint them,they could possibly dry out. Hope that helps, Cheers Mark

May 31st, 2012, 1:02 pm #3

Almost ready to glue my first set of DS tracks for a DV Sherman. The track seem a bit long to me. What type of glue works best? If I cut off a few links what would be the best way to attach them? I figure the best place would be bottom run under a road wheel.
Suggestions welcome!

Stephen J. Pringle
First I would try to adjust the idler wheel. The newer Dragon kits seem to be able to do this. That will take up any slack. If you need to shorten the track. do it a link at a time so you don't suddenly make it too short. You can glue the track with a small amount of your favorite model glue or a bit of CA glue. Hiding the joint under a roadwheel helps too.
DAVID NICKELS

May 31st, 2012, 1:11 pm #4

Suggestions welcome!

Stephen J. Pringle
when having to shorten DS tracks to use a small strip (~.5 inch) of .010 styrene on the underside of the tracks, on the upper run. Yes, it will be visible if you look at it from an extremely low angle, but it's more secure than just gluing edge on edge of the DS in my opinion.

May 31st, 2012, 1:54 pm #5

Suggestions welcome!

Stephen J. Pringle
Insightful. I will try a bit of all three comments. Again thank you.

Stephen J. Pringle

May 31st, 2012, 3:22 pm #6

Suggestions welcome!

Stephen J. Pringle
the T41 tracks in the DV kit are thin and easily distorted. You will see it show up in spaces between the track pads and especially over the drive sprocket where it can look very unsightly.

Paul

Current Project:
http://paulbudzik.com/current-projects/ ... ratch.html

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/vi ... 59&t=98433

June 1st, 2012, 12:47 pm #7

Suggestions welcome!

Stephen J. Pringle
I deceided to use CA, trimming off two links and using a small length styrene on the bottom joint. It looks real nice. Thank you all for your input. Have a great weekend!

Stephen J. Pringle