Droid

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Droid

May 8th, 2012, 5:09 pm #1

I've been interested in the "Droid" or as Voyager misnames it "Windbreaker" for some time. In reality is it an active protection system, a sound localizer, or what? I'd be overjoyed if someone could point me to a good article that explains what it is, how it works, how it is/was deployed (which Merkava versions carry it and whether it was fitted to all tanks in a unit or only some) and if it is still deployed. My Google searches have been fruitless, perhaps because I don't even know what the real name for it is.

Thanks in advance.

May 8th, 2012, 6:37 pm #2

Mike,
The "Droid" as you call it is classified IDF item at least at the moment. The Q you ask are not related to modeling per se.

People that know details about the system will not answer your Q since as i say the details are classified and no need to help to other side.

People that will answer you, dont know what they are talking,
People that know and will answer you are ego-maniacs that breach a security (if they are Israelis).

Many attractive "modeling projects" are not known yet because of the same reasons.
However It is still possible that some Israeli company will published more details on the system if they will be interested to sell it to other armies.

Lets say that it is nice addition to the tank model and used as coffee maker.

Hope you understand
Robert

Dr. Robert Manasherob
www.sabingamartn.com
Last edited by SabIngaMartinR on May 8th, 2012, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 8th, 2012, 7:43 pm #3

Dr. Manasherob,

Your answer makes perfect sense to me and we shall wait for the passage of time to reveal more. Perhaps a diorama or vignette will appear with a crew member pouring coffee beans into the open top of a droid while another holds an empty cup beneath it.

Best regards.

May 8th, 2012, 9:44 pm #4

Mike,
The "Droid" as you call it is classified IDF item at least at the moment. The Q you ask are not related to modeling per se.

People that know details about the system will not answer your Q since as i say the details are classified and no need to help to other side.

People that will answer you, dont know what they are talking,
People that know and will answer you are ego-maniacs that breach a security (if they are Israelis).

Many attractive "modeling projects" are not known yet because of the same reasons.
However It is still possible that some Israeli company will published more details on the system if they will be interested to sell it to other armies.

Lets say that it is nice addition to the tank model and used as coffee maker.

Hope you understand
Robert

Dr. Robert Manasherob
www.sabingamartn.com
it looks neat!

May 9th, 2012, 4:48 am #5

Dr. Manasherob,

Your answer makes perfect sense to me and we shall wait for the passage of time to reveal more. Perhaps a diorama or vignette will appear with a crew member pouring coffee beans into the open top of a droid while another holds an empty cup beneath it.

Best regards.
It could be titled "The Secret is Out"!

Jim

May 9th, 2012, 8:30 pm #6

have the whole tank crew taking a break!
Andy

May 10th, 2012, 2:01 am #7

I've been interested in the "Droid" or as Voyager misnames it "Windbreaker" for some time. In reality is it an active protection system, a sound localizer, or what? I'd be overjoyed if someone could point me to a good article that explains what it is, how it works, how it is/was deployed (which Merkava versions carry it and whether it was fitted to all tanks in a unit or only some) and if it is still deployed. My Google searches have been fruitless, perhaps because I don't even know what the real name for it is.

Thanks in advance.
The name "DROID" is an acronym, it should really be D.R.O.I.D, which stands for: Disco Ready Options Included Deceptive. Basically, it is a way for the Israeli's to take their disco balls everywhere they go, but no one can tell when they are ready to paaartay!!
Trust me.....they don't want the disco era to die.
Shane

Just enough knowledge to be dangerous, but not enough to help anyone.

May 13th, 2012, 7:47 am #8

Ha!
Am I the only one who thought of 'You don't mess with the Zohan!'
Also wasn't there something about an Israeli patrol caught breaking into a Beyonce number a few years ago?

Ian