Drawings/photos of 4AD field modified MG mount

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Drawings/photos of 4AD field modified MG mount

May 7th, 2012, 11:00 am #1

Hi,
I'm looking to scratchbuild a mount for the 0.30 cal M1919A4, which was installed in front of the TC as part of the field modifications made by crews of the 4th. AD to M4A3E2's and other M4A3's.
My refs are inadequate, so any drawings or pics would be most helpfull
Thanks,
Christian

May 7th, 2012, 4:07 pm #2

http://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/usa ... aloga.html

I suspect that he built is based on photographs.

Rob
There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps

May 8th, 2012, 1:41 am #3

Hi,
I'm looking to scratchbuild a mount for the 0.30 cal M1919A4, which was installed in front of the TC as part of the field modifications made by crews of the 4th. AD to M4A3E2's and other M4A3's.
My refs are inadequate, so any drawings or pics would be most helpfull
Thanks,
Christian
Here are some blurry stills of LTC Abrams tank.

From the looks of it, it appears to be a pintle socket welded to the front of the armored periscope cover with a .30 caliber trunnion to hold the M1919 .30 machine gun. A periscope cover was later designed by ordnance to serve this function, presumably based on this modification.

Presumably the Ordnance version

Installed on a Pershing:

Mike Canaday

May 8th, 2012, 6:45 am #4

... Thanks Mike This is really great!!!

It looks like the field modification must have been pretty basic too - just a pintle socket welded to the standard periscope cover.

Now I just have to determine which 0.30 cal pintle was used. It would have been nice, if I could use the one provided by Tasca (see photo) but it looks like it's the wrong type...???

Christian

May 8th, 2012, 6:45 am #5

http://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/usa ... aloga.html

I suspect that he built is based on photographs.

Rob
There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps
Thx. Robert n/t

May 8th, 2012, 12:38 pm #6

... Thanks Mike This is really great!!!

It looks like the field modification must have been pretty basic too - just a pintle socket welded to the standard periscope cover.

Now I just have to determine which 0.30 cal pintle was used. It would have been nice, if I could use the one provided by Tasca (see photo) but it looks like it's the wrong type...???

Christian

Most of the available photos would indicate that the commander's .30 caliber MG was usually some adaptation of the common infantry light machine gun, using either a pintle or a cut down M2 tripod. The gun didn't sit on the cradle, but used the simple pintle of the infantry's M1919A4.

May 9th, 2012, 11:01 am #7

Ok, I suspected that. Thx. a lot for the info Gary!!! :) n/t

May 10th, 2012, 3:38 am #8

Most of the available photos would indicate that the commander's .30 caliber MG was usually some adaptation of the common infantry light machine gun, using either a pintle or a cut down M2 tripod. The gun didn't sit on the cradle, but used the simple pintle of the infantry's M1919A4.
Gary,

How did the ammo box attach to the MG if the simpler pintle was used?

Tim
webmaster at usarmymodels dot com
http://www.usarmymodels.com
Minnesota Military Figure Society http://mmfs.wetpaint.com/

May 10th, 2012, 2:30 pm #9

Tim, you raise a good point. From the phoos, it appears that the standard infantry pintle was used.