Dragoncare anyone else have Issues?

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Dragoncare anyone else have Issues?

August 15th, 2012, 6:44 am #1

I have had a Ticket with Dragon that has not been responded to for over 9 months, 3 weeks and1 day to be precise.

Is this how Dragon treat all their customers or am I just exceptionally unlucky?

I am really annoyed by the lack of support they have shown, they do not respond to correspondence on their own Ticket / Care system.

I have a copy of all the posts on their Ticket system as proof if needed.

I doubt if I will ever buy any product they manufacture again (I have most of their German armour kits after 2000).

I would like to know if this is common amongst all their customers?

August 15th, 2012, 12:09 pm #2

It may also vary depending on where you live. Perhaps US customers dealing with Dragon USA have a better crack at it than people in other countries?

I had a recent POSITIVE experience with them. I bought one of their kits that was designed in such a way to cut corners that it omitted a whole sprue of necessary parts that are given in another kit. I contacted Dragoncare and explained that OOTB the kit was unbuildable as-is and they instantly sent me the required sprue from a different kit. They also, in the past, were quick to replace some kinked Sherman tracks. I did, however, have an issue with them regarding a kit that had a missing part. Dragon requested a photo of the missing part (?!?!) and the whole request got bogged down and I never got that one resolved.

If you do a search here or on other forums you will find a lot of comments about Dragoncare/Dragon Doesnt Care depending on who got what in terms of service
DAVID NICKELS

August 15th, 2012, 1:46 pm #3

I have had a Ticket with Dragon that has not been responded to for over 9 months, 3 weeks and1 day to be precise.

Is this how Dragon treat all their customers or am I just exceptionally unlucky?

I am really annoyed by the lack of support they have shown, they do not respond to correspondence on their own Ticket / Care system.

I doubt if I will ever buy any product they manufacture again (I have most of their German armour kits after 2000).

Dale,

I heard back from my contact at DML this morning who told me the parts were shipped to you back in March. Another set is being arranged for now.

Normally, Dragon Care does not cover parts chewed by a pet so I think you can consider yourself lucky that they responded at all.

Regards,

Tom
Tom Cockle

August 15th, 2012, 9:38 pm #4

I was more irritated that the issues existed than their responses.

Take care,

Scott Gentry

August 16th, 2012, 3:29 am #5

Bought a sealed Jagd Panther kit from someone on ML private resllers and the upper half was warped really bad. Tried to correct it but could not. They requested a photo of the part which I did. They promptly sent a replacement part at no cost to me. Their response was quick and they did not give me any crap. Very pleased with DragoCares!
I suppose they can't please everyone for whatever reasons.

August 16th, 2012, 6:21 am #6

Hi

Dragon care and my problem go back nearly 18 months. I have sent photos and a copy of the bill of sale for the models, Twice.
Had one answer to the loads of mails I sent. All I wanted was the missing turrets to the M4 hybrid PTO Sherman that where
Missing in the three kits I brought. I live in Germany so this could be a problem with them. Most people living in the USA
have good service from them.
Good luck.
As for me Dragon is not having any more of my money thank god for Tassa Models.

Ian.

August 16th, 2012, 9:30 am #7

Dale,

I heard back from my contact at DML this morning who told me the parts were shipped to you back in March. Another set is being arranged for now.

Normally, Dragon Care does not cover parts chewed by a pet so I think you can consider yourself lucky that they responded at all.

Regards,

Tom
Hi Tom

Firstly thanks for your assistance it is appreciated and I still think I shouldnt have sent you an email about it but I was obviously frustrated..

I dont think that I have been unreasonable with Dragon and I have been patient as the length of time shows.

From my point of view Dragon have not replied to my Ticket posts which I have shown you, which I dont think is unreasonable.

Tom I have a very large Dragon collection and I like what they do, but I dont call a non response even in a negative to my request as service..

If they had of said no I would have known where I stood and could have either scrapped the model or bought one at a swap meet.

I was prepared to pay for the parts like you can with Tamiya or Tasca if they required me to ( I am reasonable), yes I agree my pets bad behaviour is not their issue.

If I had received the parts I would not have sent additional requests, if they had sent them they could have advised that via their ticket system and finally they could have advised me of their shipping and I would have chased it locally.

Once again thanks for your kindness and assistance in this matter.

Kindest Regards

Dale Marston
Last edited by Dale Marston on August 16th, 2012, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 16th, 2012, 12:18 pm #8

as are most companies, actually. One or two may do it but 97% do not. I contacted Dragon about buying some replacement parts and it was a hassle. They did agree to sell me the parts but the price was not really cost effective. It cost more to get a few small parts than it would have just to buy a new kit. This was back when the 251 halftracks were $28 or so...

Most companies will provide replacements for their own mistakes or errors but not yours. Perhaps they feel a particular request is just outside of the scope of their services and chose not to reply at all?
DAVID NICKELS

August 16th, 2012, 2:00 pm #9

I don't have an issue with them not being set up for it, my issue has been the lack of response.

It is okay to say no, I can't help, it is more offensive if you just ignore someone.

I think they should have the ability to sell parts like Tamiya and Tasca.

It would provide them with a means to recoup freight etc.. and provide service that customers would expect to pay for.

What is a sprue worth honestly?

Imagine if you ran an Industrial Engineering and Automation Company and said I can't supply spares, you just have to buy a new machine.

At the money they charge for a kit you aren't going to throw it away for 1 part are you.

If it was an old airfix or matchbox kit maybe.

August 16th, 2012, 2:12 pm #10

From what I gather from talking to people at Revell regarding spare parts, and also Tamiya who do sell sprues and parts, the companies don't just keep big stocks of sprues on hand. For example, when the new Tamiya XYZ comes out, Tamiya USA has NO PARTS for it until someone has a defective kit somewhere and returns it or it is returned to Tamiya by a dealer. So then Tamiya has an XYZ kit with no instructions. But if you call and want to buy a sprue A from the kit, they will take the parts from the defective kit and sell them to you. It takes some effort to keep track of the defective kits, what parts are or are not still available, etc. With Dragon they may be able to supply a missing part here and there taken off of sprues from defective kits, but if you offer to buy a whole sprue they aren't set up for that or may not have complete sprues handy since they send out defective individual parts.

Again most companies DO NOT sell spare parts. Tamiya USA and Tasca may but Revell, Hasegawa, Arii, Fujimi, Hasegawa, ICM, IBG, Academy, Italeri etc do not seem to offer that luxury. Honestly too from what I have seen in the past, what they sell the parts for may not make them terribly cost effective. I was able to buy some parts once from Dragon after a huge hassle/haggle (it may have been via Mark Up Polo and not Dragon USA?) and the small sprues were something like $15 each plus $9 postage PER SPRUE to get a couple parts for a $28 kit.

As for the reply thing... yeah they SHOULD reply. But often they probably don't. To be fair, honestly, most places you contact or try to call about anything never get back to you. You have to badger them to death just to get the time of days. Thats just how service is any more.
DAVID NICKELS