Dragon StuG III Kit No.9014 - whats new?

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Dragon StuG III Kit No.9014 - whats new?

October 21st, 2007, 8:22 pm #1

Hello everybody;

over on ebay I just saw Dragons "new" StuG III G 75 mm Sdkfz.142/1 Kit NO. 9014. But I couldn't find a review of this kit anywhere, even on Dragons site! So could someone tell me more? Is it just a re-release of Dragons "old" kit from the mid-90ies which was reissued by Revell? Or is it based on their recent release of the StuH 42-kit?
Anyway how does it compare to the Revell kit?

Many TIA
Markus from snowy Bavaria

October 21st, 2007, 9:44 pm #2

it's from Dragon's "Imperial Series" which consists largely of retooled Gunze Sangyo kits. The quality of the kit is more in step with late 80s/early 90s era kits than the latest generation armor models. So while 9014 is a decent build, it is far from state of the art.

Dragon's new StuG III G is 6320 I believe and, in contrast to 9014, is of the early variety. It's basically the same type as the late 90s Tamiya StuG III G. Of course, subject is about the only thing the Tamiya and new Dragon kits have in common. DML's new StuG is definitely much superior to its Tamiya counterpart (which is a nice kit as well). The new Dragon kit is easily more detailed, inside and out. In fact, unlike previous StuG III Gs, DML's 6320 includes a partial interior. The build, moreover, is modular, affording some flexibility with respect to painting and detailing. The new DML StuG is simply an outstanding model.

All that said, you should probably wait for the eventual release of a newly tooled late StuG III G. I know am really looking forward to Dragon's this and the appearance of a new StuG IV.