Dragon Sd.kfz. 7 radiator mask.

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Dragon Sd.kfz. 7 radiator mask.

September 20th, 2017, 9:53 pm #1

As you see in the following page of Nuts & bolts volume 34 Sd.kfz. 7, there are two kind
of radiator masks, the Kraus Maffei (top) and Borgward (below), the Borwgard one has bevelled
sides but not the KM that are straights.
The Dragon kits 6466, 6533 and 6553 all have the bevelled radiator mask but with
the Krauss Maffei logo, is this a mistake of Dragon or I have missed some data?

[/IMG]

September 21st, 2017, 9:45 am #2

Sorry, but I can't see the difference between the two types. I must be missing something that I haven't noticed. Can anyone please explain further?

Chris

Chris Lloyd-Staples

Research / Information Officer, MAFVA

2VP (International), AMPS

September 21st, 2017, 10:10 am #3

Yes, he is right.
Chris look left and right from the logos and you will see the difference he refers.
best regards
Joerg

September 21st, 2017, 11:26 am #4

Sorry, but I can't see the difference between the two types. I must be missing something that I haven't noticed. Can anyone please explain further?

Chris
These are museum pieces, so must be taken with a grain of salt. Sheet metal rust easily maybe the parts aren't original. Heck the emblem could have been switched. The changes could have something to do with production dates. Maybe the N+B team can shed some lights on this. I would prefer to have more pictures and more angles to say something definitive or be able to see them in person.

Edgardo,

Do you have any period pictures?

Chris,

The Borgwards grill seems like the top portion may have a almost trapezoidal portion tapering back to the filler cap from the middle 3rd of the radiator grill stamping (note the shade and light). I kind of feel that the taper extends to the bottom of the stamping by looking at the sides of the stamping making the middle 3rd of the stamping more prominate but if it does them I am confused by the straight bottom portion I see nothing to indicate any transition between the straight bottom and the slight taper. The BW grill seems the have a larger radius around the outer front face. The upper corner radii are larger on the BW which may even continue into the radii into the hood to create a differnt radius on the hood. There are some other minor differences from production that would be barely vissible in 1/35. Overall the KM grill is more squared than the BW grill. I could see these changes made to speed up production or as just a difference in styling as enterpeted by 2 differnt manufacturers.

September 21st, 2017, 12:14 pm #5

makes a dedicated KM fan housing:
http://www.griffonmodel.com/product_vie ... classid=44

On the armoured variants of the 7/1 and 7/2 the logo wouldn't be visible, but the "edge" would be.

KR,

Marc

September 21st, 2017, 1:53 pm #6

I have this two period photos where is evident the beveled radiator mask.
That prove that the Borgward museum example it´s correct.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

September 21st, 2017, 2:11 pm #7

makes a dedicated KM fan housing:
http://www.griffonmodel.com/product_vie ... classid=44

On the armoured variants of the 7/1 and 7/2 the logo wouldn't be visible, but the "edge" would be.

KR,

Marc
Most of the Borgward built Sd.Kfz. 7 had unbeveled radiator masks. But some had this beveled radiator mask. The same difference can be seen on Sd.Kfz. 6 (5-ton halftracks) radiator masks: the Daimler-Benz built DB L5 and L7 can be seen with beveled radiator masks, the Büssing-Nag built BN L5 and L7 never had it.

Best regards
Heiner F. Duske
Nuts & Bolts Team

September 21st, 2017, 4:09 pm #8

Yes, he is right.
Chris look left and right from the logos and you will see the difference he refers.
best regards
Joerg
When he said "the sides", I was looking at the whole cowl, and the angle of the sides. So the actual area is the top, above the openings, and towards the filler cap. I can see it now.

I must admit this is a difference that I'd not seen before.

Chris
Chris Lloyd-Staples

Research / Information Officer, MAFVA

2VP (International), AMPS

September 21st, 2017, 4:23 pm #9

Most of the Borgward built Sd.Kfz. 7 had unbeveled radiator masks. But some had this beveled radiator mask. The same difference can be seen on Sd.Kfz. 6 (5-ton halftracks) radiator masks: the Daimler-Benz built DB L5 and L7 can be seen with beveled radiator masks, the Büssing-Nag built BN L5 and L7 never had it.

Best regards
Heiner F. Duske
Nuts & Bolts Team
So we can assume then that Dragon made a little mistake here.
I´m not found any Sd.kfz.7 with the beveled radiator mask and the Krauss Maffei logo.