Dragon's new figure sets

The Figures discussion group is hosted by Mark Bannerman and is dedicated to modelling military figures of any scale and era.

Dragon's new figure sets

January 27th, 2010, 6:54 pm #1

Have you seen the latest Dragon sets?
To go with their "Hunting the Partisans" we have
1 - Einsatzgruppen at Babi Yar (4 rifleman, 1 officer, 4 jews to shoot in the back)
2 - SS Selection - Auschwitz-Birkenau, (includes Joseph Mengele selecting for the gas chambers, gas chambers an extra kit)
3 - Waffen SS destruction of Warsaw Ghetto (alternative - any Polish Ghetto)
4 - British N. Europe - liberation of Bergen-Belsen (British troops, dying inmates - goes with the boxcar full of dead inmates - slide molding gets the emaciated look of the prisoners accurately)

With Dragon's total indifference to the actual history of several of the units it has chosen to model, I think these would fit right into its marketing plan.

January 27th, 2010, 7:42 pm #2

Personally I've chosen to not buy the DML "Stalin Starves and Murders the Ukranians" set, the "Mao Zedong Kills and Imprisons the educated of China " set nor have I purchased "Stalin murders Polish Officers in the Katyn Forest" mega set And God I don't know anyone who bought the "turks slaughter the Armenians" set nor the "Bolsheviks shot the Royal Family in the head" set.....Just didn't didn't buy them.
Maybe Mike you need to do the same and not support DML sets that you disagree with-you know voting with your wallet or another idea write DML and bitch to them...this is a modeling site and really can do without political modeling "do you guys feel guilty now" rants like you lay out above. Just DON"T BUY WHAT YOU DON"T LIKE!

History isn't about rainbow's and Unicorns Mike!

MyAnnoyed.25c bobC
ps One of my and my wife's best friends is a (the only member of her entire family) survivor of Auschwitz. When she speaks about Auschwitz it is heartrending to even contemplate the reality of what she says. So mike I really don't need to come to my favorite modeling site and have to read some 1/2 a** keyboard historian rant about the figure sets DML choses to offer (the real ones)-like I already said twice DON'T BUY THEM!!!

January 27th, 2010, 9:06 pm #3

1 - Einsatzgruppen at Babi Yar (4 rifleman, 1 officer, 4 jews to shoot in the back)
2 - SS Selection - Auschwitz-Birkenau, (includes Joseph Mengele selecting for the gas chambers, gas chambers an extra kit)
4 - British N. Europe - liberation of Bergen-Belsen (British troops, dying inmates - goes with the boxcar full of dead inmates - slide molding gets the emaciated look of the prisoners accurately)

With Dragon's total indifference to the actual history of several of the units it has chosen to model, I think these would fit right into its marketing plan.
Kinda curious to see them for myself...just to see that in fact they are real!
God knows, I've been searching for figures like this for years! Finally, DML has the guts to do them. Fantastic! I'll buy several of each!!

(yes, the above statements were sarcastic)

Rod
Last edited by grunt26 on January 27th, 2010, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 27th, 2010, 11:37 pm #4

The Partisan Hunters were an actual group. I have a book somewhere in my collection about them. I'm not sure the sarcasm is needed nor appreciated here. Factual or not, no one needs to poke fun by adding their 2c about subjects a company SHOULD produce even if out of spite. If you don't like Dragon don't buy their products. I, for one, like their armor and other subjects. The other subjects you mention are pretty tasteless, I've been to Dachau, albeit as a tourist, and you can't help but get very emotional. I never knew anyone that survived the camps
but I have Jewish friends and extended family members who're Jewish. I build German subjects because they're the most fascinating and design oriented subjects I can think of.

Carter

January 28th, 2010, 12:35 am #5

that he was describing! Quiet honestly, I thought if I played the @$$hole, then his post would actually look worse. Guess it fell flat.

January 28th, 2010, 12:55 am #6

I thought this forum was "dedicated to modelling military figures of any scale and era" and not insensitive,mindless putile posts.
Paul

January 28th, 2010, 1:10 am #7

The Partisan Hunters were an actual group. I have a book somewhere in my collection about them. I'm not sure the sarcasm is needed nor appreciated here. Factual or not, no one needs to poke fun by adding their 2c about subjects a company SHOULD produce even if out of spite. If you don't like Dragon don't buy their products. I, for one, like their armor and other subjects. The other subjects you mention are pretty tasteless, I've been to Dachau, albeit as a tourist, and you can't help but get very emotional. I never knew anyone that survived the camps
but I have Jewish friends and extended family members who're Jewish. I build German subjects because they're the most fascinating and design oriented subjects I can think of.

Carter
Today is the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz
Over a million people were murdered there factory style
Dragon has created sets of figures without any regard for the history of those groups
(Although you notice no Japanese unit has been made, are they more concerned with the unit histories of those units - won't see Batan Death March units.)
The response to my original post show that many of us don't like to be reminded of the fixation this hobby has for all things Nazi - regardless of the real history. It is documented that only a small percentage of German units were untouched by the Final Solution - most willingly participated.
While my "New Figure Sets" meant to be sarcastic - let be honest. Many of the figure sets from Dragon have been about units in the German Army and Waffenn SS that had very questionable histories and some were in the thick of human rights atrocities. They already exist. There is a ready market for them. Not sure if Dragon could market Soviet atrocities of the 1930's.

Were the Soviets blameless in the 1930's - no, but between 1941 and 1945 the fought the evil that was the Third Reich. I don't model their adventures in the 1970's & 1980's. I don't model Vietnam either - the questions work both ways.

My son asked my why the fascination and the overabundance of Nazi models - don't we care about the true history - pretty insightful for 17 years., I didn't have a good answer. Saying they are more interesting,etc. just doesn't seem to balance out what they represent.

I gave up Nazi models a long time ago as I couldn't justify any longer modeling areas of interest while ignoring what they stood for. If you model German tanks rolling through a village in Russia, you need to show the murder of Russian troops as well by those same troops.

I've been told not to buy what I don't want, in no uncertain terms - and I don't. But the issuance of the "Hunting for Partisans" was really in bad taste. And don't lecture me about the camps and such - over half of our extended family perished in the camps, only those who had made it to the US survived - 100 men, women, & children ceased to exist - cousins, grandparents, others. My father-in-laws hometown just disappeared one night.
I do feel that it is wrong not to at least acknowledge that what the Germans did was evil in a way that had not been seen before - except maybe in Nanking. That makes it so horrible.

We need to at lease be aware of the whole picture

January 28th, 2010, 1:16 am #8

I thought this forum was "dedicated to modelling military figures of any scale and era" and not insensitive,mindless putile posts.
Paul
Today is the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.
The last time you modeled so "cool" Nazi unit did you stop tothink about the unit history of that unit?
Did you even care?
Should the modeling community continue to demand more an more German/Nazi models and figures without some acknowledgment of the horrors of the Third Reich and what the German army and Waffen SS enthusiastically perpetrated.
I think Dragon's figure set "Hunting the Partisans" is insulting to every group who took up arms and resistance to the Nazis - French, Dutch, Danish, Norwegians, Slavs, and Russians to name a few. We had the Wiking division from Norway - Waffen SS, Where is the set of the "Heroes of Telemark" of the Norway resistance and army in exile who derailed the German atomic program.

January 28th, 2010, 1:56 am #9

that he was describing! Quiet honestly, I thought if I played the @$$hole, then his post would actually look worse. Guess it fell flat.
no worries Rod. My comment was directed at the original poster too. Not the forum for such comments.

This is a hobby forum, leave the political comments, sarcastic or otherwise for the political forums of which there are many and more suited for the comments.

I'm not thinking about the actions of the units that I build, and maybe I should, but I have enough things to concern myself with in the world today without worrying about whether the plastic man that I'm painting killed innocent. Its a hobby and a way to escape.

My heart goes out to any and all folks who survived the holocaust and their families on this day in history.

Carter

January 28th, 2010, 2:01 am #10

Today is the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.
The last time you modeled so "cool" Nazi unit did you stop tothink about the unit history of that unit?
Did you even care?
Should the modeling community continue to demand more an more German/Nazi models and figures without some acknowledgment of the horrors of the Third Reich and what the German army and Waffen SS enthusiastically perpetrated.
I think Dragon's figure set "Hunting the Partisans" is insulting to every group who took up arms and resistance to the Nazis - French, Dutch, Danish, Norwegians, Slavs, and Russians to name a few. We had the Wiking division from Norway - Waffen SS, Where is the set of the "Heroes of Telemark" of the Norway resistance and army in exile who derailed the German atomic program.
sarcasm. Mike if you have such a raging h**d on for the premise of some of the subjects of DML's-Tristar's-Alpine's products etc etc, especially DML, write THEM with your concern, tell THEM today is the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. Tell THEM you don't plan on buying their nasty Nazi products-TELL THEM!!! Remember to write Osprey, Tom Jentz, JJ.Federowiscz and tons of others because they too have products having to do with WWII Germany. Yeah Mike we get it the Nazi's were evil bad guys but this isn't the site to keep slinging your political guilt trip at us. Find some folks who want to listen and enthrall them with your thoughts!