Dragon`s BEF Vickers Crew - Greatcoats !

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Dragon`s BEF Vickers Crew - Greatcoats !

July 25th, 2012, 2:55 pm #1

I`m afraid that Cookie must have had a "senior moment" when reviewing this set :-

http://missing-lynx.com/reviews/figures ... wcs_1.html

Sorry Cookie - but according to an old former 8th Army drinking pal of mine ( sadly no longer with us ! ) who reliably informed me many years ago that he wore his greatcoat right through the Desert campaign - "from dusk `till dawn" and through two very cold Italian winters !

Regards

Stirl

July 25th, 2012, 8:00 pm #2

Just having the figures clad in great coats and rain coats limits their usefulness compared to more normal every day uniforms. I tend to agree. its like if they made every set of DAK soldiers in overcoats what good would they be? The DAK didn't wear overcoats 24/7
DAVID NICKELS

July 25th, 2012, 8:56 pm #3

Well this is what Cookie wrote :-

"Overall this is a great new set, but due to the early war winter setting will be of little use other than very early in France, Norway, or some of the operations in Greece."

Maybe I took the words "early war" out of context ?

July 25th, 2012, 9:39 pm #4

I`m afraid that Cookie must have had a "senior moment" when reviewing this set :-

Sorry Cookie - but according to an old former 8th Army drinking pal of mine ( sadly no longer with us ! ) who reliably informed me many years ago that he wore his greatcoat right through the Desert campaign - "from dusk `till dawn" and through two very cold Italian winters !

Regards

Stirl
The Greatcoats will be very useful for the early Desert battles (Australians went into Bardia and Tobruk wearing greatcoats), Italian Winter, NWE winter and of course conversion back to WW1! I'd love a set of Infantry in action in greatcoats to go with them. DML could always do the same set in Summer uniforms.
Al

11a

July 25th, 2012, 10:56 pm #5

I'd disagree with the 'little use' statement. England, Norway, France, Greece, N Africa, Italy and depending on the makeup of the equipment back to NWE.

Greatcoast would be worn for about 6 months of each year, depending on the climate, but in general from end of August through to March/April. Not forgetting cool Summer nights.

It's the equipment that might limit their use depending on whether it is separate items or you can add what you like.

I think it's great to see some early war troops and if folks want to up-kit them then hoepfully they can.

Al

July 25th, 2012, 11:17 pm #6

Are there a lot of photos of of Tommies wearing greatcoats in that period?

KL

July 26th, 2012, 1:51 am #7

Regards

Stirl
Try finding British or Australian figures with greatcoats in simple standing poses like the million Germans available--this set doesn't help there but it's a step in the right direction ---more than being 'limited' I'd say rather the kit is a good start--

AK

11a

July 26th, 2012, 10:04 am #8

KL

if you bother to look. Pathe News has lots of images of troops in Greatcoats during the last three months, there are even shots of embarked troops from Dunkirk returning in full Greatcoat order!

Also look at the troops entering Belgium, especially those on vehicles and carriers who are often in Greatcoat Order.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-b ... ry/Dunkirk

I dare say there would be quite a number of useful images on IWM too.

Hope that helps.

Al

July 26th, 2012, 10:25 am #9

KL

The simple answer is YES.....I have a lot of photographs and books on the BEF/Dunkirk.....Somewhere between 40:60 ratio of Greatcoat:Battledress.
Some of those chaps on the beaches had little else, some even in shorts and singlets by the time they reached the boats taking them back to UK.
French troops too are seen in greatcoats.

A look at some of the photos of those disembarking at UK ports show a mixture.

May June on the beaches, they were not exactly sunbathing, and this is Northern France coast. Totally exhuasted, I think they needed to keep warm, despite the time of year.

All rather accademic really, I too have longed to see British/Commonwealth troops with greatcoats.

As for North Africa, I spent 10 years working in Algerian Sahara, we would get ice on the rig floor, and the 6am safety meetings I remember wearing a full set of clothes under padded coveralls and a windcheater. As the day wore on, one layer would be removed, and then replaced as the evening wore on. We had the luxury of oil filled heaters in the rooms...they were cranked up to max.
A lot of newbies did not realise just how damned cold it could get......and I was working with Canadians...they also remarked how cold it could get....but at least we didn't have snow!

For me, hooray to see some variation. Note too, early war Brit troops usually had the top button done up on the tunic, unlike the open neck types on NWE figures.

Now then, some early pattern "skirted" tunicsseen on some Guards/Artillery and RAOC units with puttees rather than anklets would be very welcome too.

Just about every variation in German uniforms is catered for.....so still room for more.

The greatcoat on these figures is no less limiting than the pose to me......but great to see.

George.

11a

July 26th, 2012, 11:16 am #10

Try finding British or Australian figures with greatcoats in simple standing poses like the million Germans available--this set doesn't help there but it's a step in the right direction ---more than being 'limited' I'd say rather the kit is a good start--

AK
Hi Adam,

Agreed, not may around in Greatcoats.

Resicast have some nice BEF figures and will hopefully do a few more. Their vickers crew are late war but are also in cold weather dress.

Spearhead minitures did a couple in Greatcoats, later taken on by Resicast but now OOP.

There is another LRDG/SAS chap but I can't remember who made him.

These are the Spearhead chaps but finished as Indian Troops in the desert

[/IMG]

I can't remember who made this chap but again finished as an Indian soldier

[/IMG]

These are the 4 Resicast BEF Figures currently available.

[/IMG]

Having looked a a lot of footage of the early war period I don't see an issue mixing orders of dress during the April, May and June period.

They were still issuing Greatcoats when I was in the service and on a cold May morning in the wee early hours you would be well pleased to have your Greatcoat on.

Cheers

Al