Dragon predictions

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Dragon predictions

July 18th, 2012, 12:15 pm #1

Let's see who can correctly guess what new kits will be released by Dragon in 1:72 over the next 12 months.

Based on current releases I'd suggest:

a) Ostwind

b) SdKfz 7

They never seem to care about what other manufacturers do, in fact thye seem to deliberately target things others have launched.

Jolyon

July 18th, 2012, 12:23 pm #2

Whatever they do ill bet that at least half of the hatches will be moulded shut along with the minimum number of parts they can get away with plus an upward trend in the price. I think that is fairly predictable. They seem to have lost the plot!

July 18th, 2012, 12:30 pm #3

f

July 18th, 2012, 1:44 pm #4

Let's see who can correctly guess what new kits will be released by Dragon in 1:72 over the next 12 months.

a) Ostwind

b) SdKfz 7

They never seem to care about what other manufacturers do, in fact thye seem to deliberately target things others have launched.

Jolyon
I've actually been pleasantly surprised with a number of the recent Dragon releases.

The Japanese tanks were a welcome change. The neubaufahrzeug was a model I never thought I'd see in 1/72, and I liked the LVT series and Horch's.

Still... where are those early war Panzer IV and III's...?

Dragon, if you are listeing, how about a Lynx..!!

Q

July 18th, 2012, 2:56 pm #5

a) Ostwind

b) SdKfz 7

Jolyon
Increased prices & decreased quality.

FWIW & All the best
Andy S.
Andy Smith
Worcester, UK
обезьяны собираются к звездам

July 18th, 2012, 4:17 pm #6

a) Ostwind

b) SdKfz 7

Jolyon
I'm hoping less German stuff and more British/American. There's so much that could use a better kit of.

July 18th, 2012, 6:06 pm #7

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with a number of the recent Dragon releases.

The Japanese tanks were a welcome change. The neubaufahrzeug was a model I never thought I'd see in 1/72, and I liked the LVT series and Horch's.

Still... where are those early war Panzer IV and III's...?

Dragon, if you are listeing, how about a Lynx..!!

Q
With the trend for simpler kits with less parts I'm afraid that Dragon would over-simplify their v. nice Pz.IV kits to what we got with their newer (Japanese armor,Pz. III range) kits and I agree that unless they up prices even more (gulp!), this is our fare from now on. OTOH, Dragon has been a steady even prolific mainstream force in 1/72 for the last few years for which I'm grateful (YES on the Japanese armor, LVTs, and Churchills!). My build stash is a quarter or more of bright yellow Armor-Pro boxes, and in spite of the simplification of their newer kits I still look with interest to all their new braille releases. Cheers.

- fredman out

July 18th, 2012, 7:02 pm #8

a) Ostwind

b) SdKfz 7

Jolyon
I see Dragon releasing a bunch of re-hashes of their current kits as they really aren't releasing more esoteric Allied stuff. I also don't see Dragon adding to their figures in 1/72 either. I've pretty much given up on Dragon. Zvezda seems to be out pacing Dragon regarding figures.
Charlie

July 18th, 2012, 7:04 pm #9

a) Ostwind

b) SdKfz 7

Jolyon
...there are a few Sherman's left to cover, including the M4 composite/Firefly IC composite as well as a late M4 or M4 105mm. Dragon has covered all these in 1/35th, and all that would be required would be a couple new upper hulls. Still, I get the sense that Dragon has moved on from Shermans.

The LVT series was a nice surprise, and seems to have sold well, judging by how hard they are to find in shops. Maybe another out-of-the-blue Pacific War subject, like the type 89? Or reuse that LVT-(A)4 turret and finally give modellers a M8 HMC and M5!

Will (who knows that Vietnam-era subjects are too much to hope for)

July 18th, 2012, 9:08 pm #10

a) Ostwind

b) SdKfz 7

Jolyon
I've written that before and I'm gonna write it AGAIN.

Modellers are NOT the main target for DML in Braille, and they are going to be less and less on the priority list.

The target are people who model occasionally and want a hassle-free build of a model that looks the part OOB. That could range anywhere from 6-8 y.o. that get this from the shop to glue together with Dad (who's into 1/35) to your colleague next desk who saw this passing by the LHS and rememberied gluing Airfix being 6-8 y.o. These are people who buy presents for kids, colleagues and spouses who'd glue the thing together, spash ANY paint that came w/ the kit and put it in the cupboard or play with it on the floor until it broke. Noone's gonna just spend $60 on a gift the recipient couldn't possibly figure out, so they get the cheap stuff in 72nd.

Wargamers, who'd buy 4-5 pieces each and wouldn't want to deal w/ DML's very thin and easily breakable PE, are also welcomed.

These kits are aimed at simplicity, not 100% accuracy. If you want a model w/ separate OVM, towing cables and extras - go get a 35th scale kit. 1200 parts - half of them spares.

Just like the Cromwell models threads I feel it is OK to express opinions, but that looks much better with a few pictures of models attached.

Basically my reasoning is the following: people appreciate models less and less. They want more for less money (just like their employers do -> more work + pay cut). They buy less and therefore DML sees no point in producing new molds.

Just look at Trumpeter. If I can buy a 1/72 tank for $10 and 1/35 tank for $15 which one would I pick? The big one. So they literally ditched the 72nd (oh wow, the Warrior!!!). Academy is rumored to also plan for the same move. Revell's half-hearted recent attempts are also a bad indicator (still LOVE their older kits). Now we're basically left w/ DML and a bunch of resin manufacturers and still not happy. On their end there's no initiative to improve on anything but cost effectiveness. So... unless Eduard branches out in armor I can't see the light in the end of the tunnel.

Feel free to dislike DML, all I am saying is they are nothing but reasonable.
Peter Petkov
Disruptive professional
My modelling site - http://modelcrafters.net