Dragon Panzer IV Ausf. A kits parts question

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Dragon Panzer IV Ausf. A kits parts question

September 21st, 2017, 10:07 pm #1

Hello all,

I have some questions regarding options in the two Dragon Panzer IV Ausf. A kits, 6747 and the Zusatzpanzer kit 6816.

I have the Zusatzpanzer kit, but I don´t want to use it and build it as a regular Ausf. A. I only have the Spielberger book on the Panzer IV, so photos are quite sparse.
Is it possible to build a regular Ausf. A with this kit, or should I try to get the regular kit, because a some parts are missing in the Zusatzpanzer kit.
Some parts are missing in the Zusatzpanzer kit and the PE is changed, mostly the Peclamps are not in the Zusatzpanzer kit.
In step 1 there is the option between sprocket ring A32 and A36. I cannot see any difference between the two parts except for installing bolt heads on A36 separately? Are there any and and if, yes, which is more apopriate? There are two kind of rubber rings for the road wheels, N1 on the sprue marked as Ausf. A parts and the separately included V parts.
ed.

In the first edition there are two styles of return rollers included. Parts L, which are one piece plus PE arts to create some sort of undercut and parts A18 and A19, which lack the PE part.

Regarding the tracks, both kits include a 36cm track with narrow guide horn. I have a set of the Miniart 36cm track, but this track has the high guide horns. Can I use this track, as the Zusatzpanzer kit only has the DS track included.

In step 4 there is part C13 (rear armour) called out in the regular instructions and W21 in the correction sheet and the Zusatzpanzer kit. I cannot find any difference between the two parts, except the C sprue is a dedicated Ausf. A sprue. The same goes for the parts C21 and C22, which are called out in the instructions of the regular Ausf. A, whereas W29 and W30 are in the correction sheet and the Zusatzpanzer kit. In the Zusatzpanzer kit the parts C21 C22 are blanked off and not included.

Maybe some of you can give some background information on the parts and the options.

Many thanks,

Thomas

September 22nd, 2017, 2:20 am #2

Hi Thomas,

The only difference in the outside sprocket rings are the separate bolts, a throwback to the first early Panzer IV kits. Use either one but A32 is less work.

The early rubber tires often seen on the Ausf.A had a more tapered cross section and Dragon only give you enough to do the outside wheels as the inside ones aren't that visible.

A18 and A19 are simplified and cheaper versions of the idlers. Part L with the PE parts are more accurate.

The Miniart tracks won't work for this version. The lower guide tooth was used on the Ausf.A , B and C. The higher tooth, but not as high as the Miniart tracks, was seen on some Ausf.B and C, D and E. I replaced mine with Modelkasten SK-57.

Use W21. C21 and 22 were incorrectly designed and won't fit if you try to use them.

Regards,

Tom
Tom Cockle

September 22nd, 2017, 8:36 am #3

Tom,

many, many thanks for the information.

In my kit are four sprues with 32 rubber wheels with a more tapered cross section included

A last question, what I can do with the Miniart tracks, then? Can I use them on a Panzer III Ausf. E or F?

Thomas

September 22nd, 2017, 2:51 pm #4

Thomas,

I don't think so. It looks like they were mainly used on the StuG.III Ausf.AO and Panzer III Ausf.A-D.

Regards,

Tom

Tom Cockle

September 22nd, 2017, 3:06 pm #5

Thanks, Tom. One more for Ebay.

Thomas

September 22nd, 2017, 3:51 pm #6

Thomas,

I'm in the same boat. I bought two sets as well and one was in the Vorpanzer IV A kit I looked through last night to answer your questions. I have some high guide teeth left over from the SK-57 sets I have used so maybe I can mate them up with the Miniart tracks. I'll have to look at that and see if it will work.

Regards,

Tom

Tom Cockle

September 23rd, 2017, 2:36 pm #7

n/t