Dragon LRDG Chevrolet tires/wheels

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Dragon LRDG Chevrolet tires/wheels

July 9th, 2012, 12:41 am #1

By looking at the box art it shows the wheel assembly and tires as 2 pieces, the instructions show them as a complete one piece and reality is one piece with hollow backs like a toy. This is quite deceiving when purchasing this kit thinking you're getting 2 piece assemblies and then they are not. With a retail of around $24, you should be getting 2 in the box like the Horch kits. I bought this kit as a next project, but I just can not get past the wheels. Not sure how to fix them as making circular plugs is just not something in my realm. If I just had to cut straight lines for square type shapes, not an issue, just can not make circles of different sizes and layers to get the wheel and tire shapes and edges where the 2 join. Maybe someone will do them aftermarket. This was going to be my precurser to the 1/35 Tamiya version. Any ideas out there guys? Vic.

July 9th, 2012, 10:09 am #2

Hi Vic,

I find what you are saying amazing, at first I thought it was a retrograde step to the cheap kits of the 60's and 70's which had similar tyres. I then thought that it may be due to the increasing price of the raw material and an effort to cut costs and optimise profits. Whichever it is it is a bit of a blow and if all the future kits are going to be similarly treated with regard to wheels, or other 'solid' items, then it is going to make our modelling experience a little less enjoyable. I have no doubt there will be some after-market resin wheels produced, but then that jacks the cost of a small kit up to a prohibitive level in these days of limited funds. Perhaps someone from Dragon could explain the reasoning and if it is a trend that will be continued.

Good luck with your build, I hope you post your progress for us all to see.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

July 9th, 2012, 11:02 am #3

By looking at the box art it shows the wheel assembly and tires as 2 pieces, the instructions show them as a complete one piece and reality is one piece with hollow backs like a toy. This is quite deceiving when purchasing this kit thinking you're getting 2 piece assemblies and then they are not. With a retail of around $24, you should be getting 2 in the box like the Horch kits. I bought this kit as a next project, but I just can not get past the wheels. Not sure how to fix them as making circular plugs is just not something in my realm. If I just had to cut straight lines for square type shapes, not an issue, just can not make circles of different sizes and layers to get the wheel and tire shapes and edges where the 2 join. Maybe someone will do them aftermarket. This was going to be my precurser to the 1/35 Tamiya version. Any ideas out there guys? Vic.
It doesn't seem to be an improvement over the old Matchbox kit, and it has some similar features like the shackles moulded on the bumper.

I would have hoped for different weapons mixes and some stowage; probably one of the most striking features of the LRDG Chevs.

The Lewis gun looks OK though.

Cheers

David
David Clark
Bellarine Peninsula, Victoria, Australia

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be - Simone Signoret

July 9th, 2012, 11:39 am #4

Have all gone stark staring mad with their pricing.....But let's be honest, Dragon started it!

The new Dragon 1/72 SdKfz 260 (Not the first of its kind despite what certain reviewers would have you believe! ) costs the same as their SdKfz.222s but again you now only get one in a box.

The current prices are nothing short of ridiculous, which is why I don't pay them.....Almost every kit I've bought this year (and last) has come from eBay or through private transactions/swaps, but I'm still managing to keep reasonably up to date with the new releases.

It's about time we ALL started talking with our wallets if you ask me.....Perhaps we should all just build what's in our stashes for twelve months and see what Dragon's pricing looks like after a year with NO SALES!
Andy Smith
Worcester, UK
обезьяны собираются к звездам

July 9th, 2012, 7:33 pm #5

Andrew

Be careful what you wish for. Dragon would likely respond to a year without sales by leaving the 1/72 scale AFV business & concentrating on other scales, aircraft etc. I agree that prices are very high when compared to years gone by, but we can still have 20+ hours enjoyment (is modelling always enjoyable..?) from a £20.00 kit - in terms of £ per hour, this is still cheaper than a round of golf, a trip to the cinema etc.

Andy Lang
(who has already spent considerably more than 20 hours on building & painting the 1/72 Dragon Neubaufahrzeug, with a lot of work still to do.)

July 9th, 2012, 8:18 pm #6

......not only have they mis-lead us with the box art and advertising but they have stooped to a low similar to an Italeri quick build kit!!!!??????
I wonder in how much in $s they have actually saved?

I think I will construct the truck and then see how bad the wheels show up when assembled, before doing a lot of plastic or putty additions!
"Never forget your weapons are made by the lowest bidder!?"
G = Graham.

July 9th, 2012, 8:24 pm #7

Andrew

Be careful what you wish for. Dragon would likely respond to a year without sales by leaving the 1/72 scale AFV business & concentrating on other scales, aircraft etc. I agree that prices are very high when compared to years gone by, but we can still have 20+ hours enjoyment (is modelling always enjoyable..?) from a £20.00 kit - in terms of £ per hour, this is still cheaper than a round of golf, a trip to the cinema etc.

Andy Lang
(who has already spent considerably more than 20 hours on building & painting the 1/72 Dragon Neubaufahrzeug, with a lot of work still to do.)
Hi Andy,

I agree that a boycott of a manufacturers goods is going to be 'cutting your nose of to spite your face', but if this is to be a trend now, where the manufacturer tries to save on costs by thinking it will be ok to leave wheels hollow, or details only on the face you see, isn't a good development. I think a concerted effort by modellers to lobby manufacturers would be a better idea. I also do the 'cinema ticket' analogy for seeing if a kit is value for money, inevitably it is as tickets now appear to have crept up to the £6 region and no matter the kit, it is going to take longer than five hours to build which is two films - £12 - so they really are value for money still. I have some old copies of Scale Modeller, Airfix Magazine, Military Modelling going back to 1960's and when I see kits for 1/6d old money (7.5p) or from the 70's and the kits are 35p and £1.50 for a Tamyia 1/35th it does make you wince at today's prices. However everything is relative, a pint of beer was only 10p....you do the math.

All the best,

Paul
Last edited by PAUL GILES on July 9th, 2012, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

July 9th, 2012, 9:43 pm #8

Paul

Yes, absolutely - I was commenting on the desirability (or otherwise) of boycotting Dragon kits, not the acceptability of leaving the wheels hollow: this is just plain wrong in any era.

I also started making Airfix AFV models in the late 1960s & the bagged Series 1 kits cost 10p (2/-). If a pint then cost the same amount (I don't know: I was only eight in 1969), even Airfix kits have doubled or more. However, I do spend longer building them nowadays...

I love the old Airfix Magazine AFV articles from the time & still treasure my copies of these magazines: I'd never part with them.

Andy Lang

July 9th, 2012, 9:48 pm #9

Hi
This isn't aimed specifically at anyone, and they are just unstructured musings. The discussion just got me thinking...

Turning the conversation around a little, how much would you say your completed models are worth? I'd guess most of the modellers on the site spend upward of forty hours building a vehicle and painting it. That's after years of research and study of the craft. Realistically this end of the hobby is not far off degree standard when you take into account the depth of knowledge required. If you charge your time as a professional, most of the artistic creations on your shelves would be worth £500 - £1,000 (800 - 1,600 Euros or Dollars), and in some cases more. The price of the kit starts to diminish in that light.

Certainly, in terms of satisfaction, there's little gets close to those odd moments where a model forms itself into the image you had in your head before you started. And as Kevin Dennigan used to enjoy saying, "if you're enjoying yourself, you're doing it wrong."

Do you view yourself as a kit builder or a modelmaker? I have loads of kits in my loft from which I've pinched wheels or a gun barrel and built the rest from scratch. If you object to manufacturer's prices or their moulding shortcuts, get out a protractor, a ruler, a sheet of plastic and a scalpel. Start to carve. I guess I'm lucky building in 1/76 as there is a limited amount of stuff going to be produced for me. The best models are always those where you've had to measure an old wreck of a vehicle and nine months later you've created a miniature that's as close as you can make to perfection. (All too often a little short of that mark.) Even then, I can feel slight whispers of that boyish excitement of building a kit on my parent's kitchen table.

The manufacturers are doing their best, I guess, and they have all manner of marketing execs and accountants telling them to cut corners. If you like a kit buy it and put your stamp on it. If you do a good job you'll forget what you paid for it.

Thanks for all the fabulous inspiration that's served up on ML daily.

Regards
Dan

www.dantaylormodelworks.com
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979

July 9th, 2012, 11:34 pm #10

Andrew

Andy Lang
I'm not boycotting the kits, just the insane prices.....I can always get them cheaper after a month or two, so I just bide my time. I suspect a lot of people are doing this and it's crippling the high street model shops.....My last local model shop closed down a fortnight ago, but I'd pretty much stopped going there as I could almost always get the same stuff posted direct to my door for less money.

As for worrying that Dragon might stop releasing kits, why should I? Nothing about their most recent releases encourages me to rush out and buy them and were I to do so, I would be tacitly accepting that their current prices are fair and reasonable, which they most certainly are not! Even if Dragon were to stop making 1/72 kits for the next twenty years I could easily get by with what's already in my stash and there are plenty of other manufacturers out there to fill any gap they might leave!
Last edited by Sgt.Squarehead on July 9th, 2012, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Smith
Worcester, UK
обезьяны собираются к звездам