Dragon IDF TCM-20 Half-track - wrong war?

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Dragon IDF TCM-20 Half-track - wrong war?

August 21st, 2017, 3:44 pm #1

Without going into some of the minutia of Dragon's errors on this model, what I wonder is whether it should really be considered as a 1967 veteran.

I'm certainly glad there is a plastic model of this variation, and all the variations Dragon is doing, warts and all, but I have never seen the TCM-20 in any of the various resources I have about the 6-Day war. Is this more of a marketing concept than reality?

The SS-11 version was still in use then (there appear to be parade photos of them in both 1967 and 1968), and the 120mm mortar version was used on all fronts, but I have never seen the TCM-20 in any pictures from that period. I've only seen photos from the Yom-Kippur War (1973) and later.

If you want to do that period, I think you would have to ignore the directions and use the "solid" radiator grill front. In fact, I've never seen a picture of the TCM-20 with the original louvered grill.

Too bad you can't get the guns separately. Nor do I think Dragon will release the TCM-20 as a kit. If they did, you could also do the TCM-20 mounted in the BTR-152 used by the IDF.

Mike

August 21st, 2017, 10:37 pm #2

... on the box!

Cheers,

Christophe

August 22nd, 2017, 2:45 am #3

Without going into some of the minutia of Dragon's errors on this model, what I wonder is whether it should really be considered as a 1967 veteran.

I'm certainly glad there is a plastic model of this variation, and all the variations Dragon is doing, warts and all, but I have never seen the TCM-20 in any of the various resources I have about the 6-Day war. Is this more of a marketing concept than reality?

The SS-11 version was still in use then (there appear to be parade photos of them in both 1967 and 1968), and the 120mm mortar version was used on all fronts, but I have never seen the TCM-20 in any pictures from that period. I've only seen photos from the Yom-Kippur War (1973) and later.

If you want to do that period, I think you would have to ignore the directions and use the "solid" radiator grill front. In fact, I've never seen a picture of the TCM-20 with the original louvered grill.

Too bad you can't get the guns separately. Nor do I think Dragon will release the TCM-20 as a kit. If they did, you could also do the TCM-20 mounted in the BTR-152 used by the IDF.

Mike
Mike, there is a pic of a TCM 20 with a louvered grille and WW2 style combat headlights in Tom Gannon,s Israeli Half-tracks Vol 2 on the bottom of page 351. The lights in the kit I agree were only used with the solid plated over grille used with the diesel engine conversions. I agree that the TCM20 was not used in the Six Day War but was in 1973 and up.

August 23rd, 2017, 1:35 am #4

Mike
I'm sure I read somewhere that this is a museum lash-up and not something that actually saw service. In any case, putting a Dragon-standard turret into the tired old Skif BTR-152 would be very much new wine into old bottles. By the time you've got some resin wheels, the Hobby Planet update set and an etch set it gets expensive: I'm up to £52 of parts already, and I only paid £10 for the kit and got the SKP wheels rather than the vastly expensive Hussar ones! But I suppose if Trumpeter ever turn their attention to the 152 - has to happen soon, surely - it'll cost £50+: and still need resin wheels.

August 23rd, 2017, 4:55 am #5

Chile uses it mounted in Piranhas.

Several Central American countries use the towed version.

Here's an interesting one with the 20MM on one side and an FN MAG on the other.

August 28th, 2017, 1:47 pm #6

Mike
So you can say you've finally seen one.