Dont do this after painting warning!!

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Dont do this after painting warning!!

Matt Carlson
Matt Carlson

August 29th, 2003, 12:30 am #1

After painting testors metalizer (actually i airbrushed it) i went to mask of areas to be painted with regular paint.When i peeled the tape away,the metalizer came off with it.i sealed it via the instructions with testors metilizer sealer.I let dry for over an hour. I wounder why?

can you just not mask off this type of paint? Any tips/help would be nice.

August 29th, 2003, 2:18 am #2

A paint finish is only as strong as it's weakest layer. And Metalizer is very weak when it comes to adhesion versus the mighty masking tape. It will peel up every time. Idealy, Metalizer is suppose to be shot over bare plastic so that the finish is as smooth as the plastic. A primer coat under the Metalizer would give it something to bite to but it would also leave a flat finish.
You shoot it over bare plastic, and then shoot sealer over that, and it's still as weak as the base coat. Tape will still take off the Metalizer and all sealer and color coats shot over it. All the sealer does is to seal the finish from finger prints and to keep it from rubbing off.
I'm afraid the only tip I can give you is to 1)Don't mask over Metalizer. And 2)Maybe try a base coat of gloss black paint. But it needs to be SMOOOOOTH! Metalizer will show off every flaw like a zit on the tip of the nose. It's not much help, but maybe you understand the properties of Metalizer a little better now.

Matt Carlson
Matt Carlson

August 29th, 2003, 3:59 am #3

Well i tried to hold a piece of paper to make a clean crisp edge it seems to be working.Thanks

Gary Cunningham
Gary Cunningham

August 29th, 2003, 11:07 am #4

After painting testors metalizer (actually i airbrushed it) i went to mask of areas to be painted with regular paint.When i peeled the tape away,the metalizer came off with it.i sealed it via the instructions with testors metilizer sealer.I let dry for over an hour. I wounder why?

Try this trick: cut newpaper to size, wet it down & use it to mask off areas. Make sure there is no excess water dripping off the news print & it works rather well.

You can also use post-it notes. They have very low tack adhesion.

Paul Roberts
Paul Roberts

September 15th, 2003, 7:13 pm #5

SNJ metallizer paints can be masked after an hour or so and can be burnished for up to 24 hours. I have used them in my formar life as an aircraft modeller and can state that they work very well. Once the 24 hours is up they don't need a sealer, either. You can't burnish them any more after the day or so is up.

Great stuff!

Paul