DML's "Saladin"

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

DML's "Saladin"

June 25th, 2015, 8:00 pm #1

??? So, whats so horribly wrong w/ this kit ??? Its got -6- wheel units , a gun, decals for Brit vehicles & multi-page instructions ...

??? Is this just another time for the "Pickers-of-Nits" to come out and complain just because they can ???

OH: dont bother bashing ME ... I build to My level for MY enjoyment ...

*DAN

" !!! LET'S GO ,FIRST TEXAS !!!"

June 25th, 2015, 8:17 pm #2

If you build to your own level for your own enjoyment then surely what is or is not right about this kit is irrelevant?

June 25th, 2015, 10:13 pm #3

??? So, whats so horribly wrong w/ this kit ??? Its got -6- wheel units , a gun, decals for Brit vehicles & multi-page instructions ...

??? Is this just another time for the "Pickers-of-Nits" to come out and complain just because they can ???

*DAN

Those are the biggest gripes. it is very low on detail and has some minor innacuracies and ommissions:

- It is devoid of any internal hatch details (Flat plates)
- Missing hatch seal rims on turret hatch aperatures
- 30 Csl tripod worthy of 1960's toy kits
- Jerry can - positively the worst attempt at a jerry can I have ever seen in plastic - as above
- Exhaust completely missing - should join the muffler through a manifold that can be seen between the hull; through a hole in the - mudguard to the muffler
- Muffler detail on par with the 70's Tamiya Kit (Very lacking - looks like it was scratched from a Biro tube)
- Rear Air Intake longitudinal louvres require angling (from vertical to 15 deg approx)
- No Commanders 30 Cal or mount
- poorly detailed on vehicle tools worthy of a 60's kit
- Completely wrong pattern louvre mesh cover and not shaped like real thing
- Many other minor details underdone, simplified or reminiscent of a 70's kit

This is by no means a definitive list. Fortunately the shape and dimensions seem pretty good and it is fixable but the reason people griped so loudly is that the cost in most markets is dearer than their uber kits of the Tiger (Wittman with a full crew) and the new tooled M1A2 for a shoddy half done effort reminiscent of a mix between a 70's and 80's kit. It costs 2/3 of the AA one here and offers very little value for money. Should be in the lower end of pricing not the high end for what it gives you.

All round a huge dissapointment

Al

June 25th, 2015, 10:15 pm #4

If you build to your own level for your own enjoyment then surely what is or is not right about this kit is irrelevant?
It depends on whether you wish to pay that much for what you get and whether you think it is value for money. If you want to build it out of the box with all the hatches closed then you should be reasonably happy (except for the price)
I would have been more accepting of this kit at half the price I paid for it.

Al

June 26th, 2015, 2:25 am #5

Those are the biggest gripes. it is very low on detail and has some minor innacuracies and ommissions:

- Jerry can - positively the worst attempt at a jerry can I have ever seen in plastic - as above
- Exhaust completely missing - should join the muffler through a manifold that can be seen between the hull; through a hole in the - mudguard to the muffler
- Muffler detail on par with the 70's Tamiya Kit (Very lacking - looks like it was scratched from a Biro tube)
- Rear Air Intake longitudinal louvres require angling (from vertical to 15 deg approx)

This is by no means a definitive list. Fortunately the shape and dimensions seem pretty good and it is fixable but the reason people griped so loudly is that the cost in most markets is dearer than their uber kits of the Tiger (Wittman with a full crew) and the new tooled M1A2 for a shoddy half done effort reminiscent of a mix between a 70's and 80's kit. It costs 2/3 of the AA one here and offers very little value for money. Should be in the lower end of pricing not the high end for what it gives you.

Al
shame Dragon's Saladin sounds like another of their Black Label disappointments. the right manufacturer (Meng, Takom??) could capitalise on their moulds with this one and use chassis for the other Alvis Saracen family members (Saracen, Stalwart). I hope this isn't the last we see for some time of what are some great subjects in the Black Label series that Dragon have messed up!

June 26th, 2015, 3:41 pm #6

Al
Seems to me that all of those gripes are easily fixed in a reasonably priced aftermarket set. (Except the price, of course). My Saladin is sitting on the shelf waiting for one. Any word on when one might appear?

June 26th, 2015, 5:02 pm #7

n/t
Last edited by JCHarris on June 26th, 2015, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 26th, 2015, 6:22 pm #8

*DAN

Dan,

Even though you stated you really wanted to build it only for your enjoyment, I thought you might find some inspiration (and a few ideas for corrections) looking at the awesome work Pete Smith did on his Dragon Saladin:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/t ... +Aden+1967

Pete posted regular updates of his in-progress build on the Constructive Comments forum (do a search using "Dragon Saladin WIP"), and you can also see his progression on his blog:

http://petesmodelworld.blogspot.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

June 26th, 2015, 8:00 pm #9

n/t
...is out and available, FWIW. They also have a German Border Police update/conversion as well.

Mike Carroll

June 26th, 2015, 8:13 pm #10

n/t
At least one company there...
www.dieselwerk.blogspot.com