dissolve plastic with nitrocellulose?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

dissolve plastic with nitrocellulose?

Jeremy Colby
Jeremy Colby

September 16th, 2003, 6:21 pm #1

I recently came across an article in the Osprey Modelling Manuals "Soft Skin Vehicles" regarding liquifying plastic with nitrocellulose to make tread plate. I thought it would be something interesting to try, but... there isn't a source page anywhere in the book. Does anybody know of a readily available source of nitrocellulose so I can try this technique? Is there an equivalent I could use?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Simon Crockford
Simon Crockford

September 17th, 2003, 9:36 am #2

.....a looong time ago!, I dissolved all my old sprues and suchlike in a solvent made by Winsor & Newton (I think it was called Winsol? like I said it was a long time ago!)I've since looked for this solvent but cant find it, they probably changed the name?
But this is surely another avenue for you to explore?
I will be as interested as you, Jeremy, to see the outcome of this as my little jar of "liquid goo" was one of my most used tools way back when!
Cheers
Simon

Brett Barrow
Brett Barrow

September 18th, 2003, 12:25 am #3

I recently came across an article in the Osprey Modelling Manuals "Soft Skin Vehicles" regarding liquifying plastic with nitrocellulose to make tread plate. I thought it would be something interesting to try, but... there isn't a source page anywhere in the book. Does anybody know of a readily available source of nitrocellulose so I can try this technique? Is there an equivalent I could use?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Good ol' Lacquer Thinner! (those books are rather poorly translated from Spanish and these are the sort of things that go unnoticed)

You can find it at any hardware store/home center and even K-mart and WalMart.

Lee Dobson
Lee Dobson

September 18th, 2003, 5:16 am #4

n/t