Diorama Snow

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Diorama Snow

Mark J. Bannerman
Mark J. Bannerman

August 27th, 2001, 5:30 pm #1

I am working on small winter vignette and have everything in place but the snow. Following some advice on this site, I purchased a cannister of Micro-Balloon which, on opening the containter, revealed a beautiful powder which makes for ideal snow. However, I know little about this stuff.

Do you apply as is from the cannister onto a glue-wet surface or is it supposed to be mixed with water ? The instructions are in Chinese but based on the photos on the label, it is supposed to be mixed with something or another. Has anyone just used micro balloons from the cannister with success without mixing ?

Mark Bannerman

Kip Rudge
Kip Rudge

August 27th, 2001, 5:40 pm #2

Usually I brush or spray a light coat of diluted white glur over where i want the snow to be. Pile the microballoons up pretty good and let them dry for a couple of hours and just shake the overage onto a piece of paper and return it to the container.

However, I just came off a real bad experience with microballoons. Doing two snow scenes for a contest last weekend i opened my balloons and found them caked together. I could not get them to powder. Disaster! I think it may have been the humidity here (Virginia). I really had a godawful time with them.

But as long as you get the powder you should be fine. some folks will set the little buggers with hairspray. i think it gives the snow a slight shine.

Good luck.

Charles Reading
Charles Reading

August 27th, 2001, 7:18 pm #3

I am working on small winter vignette and have everything in place but the snow. Following some advice on this site, I purchased a cannister of Micro-Balloon which, on opening the containter, revealed a beautiful powder which makes for ideal snow. However, I know little about this stuff.

Do you apply as is from the cannister onto a glue-wet surface or is it supposed to be mixed with water ? The instructions are in Chinese but based on the photos on the label, it is supposed to be mixed with something or another. Has anyone just used micro balloons from the cannister with success without mixing ?

Mark Bannerman
As I understand it, if not handled correctly microballoons become airbourne particles that can easily be inhaled. Tiny glass bubbles are not something you want in your lungs.
Use common sense when handleing......
for what it's worth
C.

Ulf Andersson
Ulf Andersson

August 27th, 2001, 7:49 pm #4

Mark Bannerman
Mark

Microballoons are just great and gives a nice realistic finish. If simulating deep snow then first sculpt the base with ie Supersculpy, paint white(otherwise it'll shine through) and then treat the surfase with diluted white glue. Finally sprinkle a layer with microballoons. This will save you heaps of the stuff, and the outcome's just as good!
Did this with my T-26 vignette, http://www.plasticwarfare.com/gallerypages/t26/main.htm

HTH Ulf/SWEDEN

Jim Kinter
Jim Kinter

August 27th, 2001, 9:23 pm #5

Mark Bannerman
Is there a good on-line place I can buy micro balloons?
Thanks in advance,
Jim

Lynn Kessler
Lynn Kessler

August 27th, 2001, 9:59 pm #6

Mark Bannerman
See my article in MilMod, vol. 31, no. 6, May 2001, on the Chosin Reservoir. I use Microballons mixed into acrylic flat medium from Liqitex. You mix it to the consistancy of thick plaster, about a 1/4 Dixie cupful at a time, and apply it with a 1/4" wide flat brush. This allow much more control -- and deeper coverage -- than the white glue/sprinkled microballons method. You can push it wherever you want, layer it if you like, form it around tracks, tires and fenceposts, and if you don't like the results, you can start over again by removing the layer with the same wet brush. And it NEVER yellows or flakes off.

Lynn Kessler

dave swann
dave swann

August 28th, 2001, 1:11 am #7

like if I want the scene to look like all the snow has thawed except just a few pockets? I am doing a dio where I want it to look like it is spring and the ground is mostly mud, but there a just a few areas of snow that havent melted. any advice? and should I buy the microballons for this?

dave swann

john gauerke
john gauerke

August 28th, 2001, 2:14 am #8

dave, check into 'hudson and allens' snow and slush. they should be perfect for what you need. i have used their products in the past with much success. hth. john

dave swann
dave swann

August 28th, 2001, 3:59 am #9

Lynn Kessler
Lynn Kessler

August 28th, 2001, 4:23 am #10

like if I want the scene to look like all the snow has thawed except just a few pockets? I am doing a dio where I want it to look like it is spring and the ground is mostly mud, but there a just a few areas of snow that havent melted. any advice? and should I buy the microballons for this?

dave swann
That's what great about the flat medium/microballons mixture. The gel acts as the glue, and being water based, a wet brush will push around any amount, and thin out any amount, as much or as little as you would like.