Diorama overkill...

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Diorama overkill...

Randy Jackson
Randy Jackson

March 20th, 2002, 2:22 pm #1

I am thinking of making a workshop diorama using all of the following...The new Verlinden Blacksmith Workshop, The Italeri Opel Blitz with Verlinden workshop conversion, Tamiya Kubelwagen with the Aires workshop conversion plus the Italeri Elefant(suitably reworked with etch and Zimmerit,etc.) There will be a suitable number of figures and so on. The story will be an Elefant stopping for the always necessary repairs. Will I have too many vehicles? Would a workshop far back from the front have this much stuff? Am I suffering from advanced modeller`s syndrome? Will my wife kill me for spending so much dough? Thanks in advance.

Jos van Hooff
Jos van Hooff

March 20th, 2002, 8:37 pm #2

Probably the last, your wife will end it all.

Good luck

Jos

Andy Fettes
Andy Fettes

March 20th, 2002, 11:47 pm #3

I am thinking of making a workshop diorama using all of the following...The new Verlinden Blacksmith Workshop, The Italeri Opel Blitz with Verlinden workshop conversion, Tamiya Kubelwagen with the Aires workshop conversion plus the Italeri Elefant(suitably reworked with etch and Zimmerit,etc.) There will be a suitable number of figures and so on. The story will be an Elefant stopping for the always necessary repairs. Will I have too many vehicles? Would a workshop far back from the front have this much stuff? Am I suffering from advanced modeller`s syndrome? Will my wife kill me for spending so much dough? Thanks in advance.
Not if you plan your layout correctly.Let your viewers eyes lead you to the centre piece,presumably the elephant and the biulding.work on the display pyramid theory smaller at the front working to the larger as you progress through the scene.Add small vignettes throughout your dio to add interest.
cheers
Andy.
ps
on the wife side of things,yes I think you`re a dead man.good luck.

March 21st, 2002, 10:23 am #4

Three vehicles may be a bit crowded, two vehicles of different sizes is usually enough. Often I make a few extra figures because the dio grows and changes as you build it. and often it doesn't finish up how you originally planned. You could make up the Kubelwagon and if it looks to crowded or out of balance just set it aside for a new dio.

Steve Coladonato
Steve Coladonato

March 21st, 2002, 1:18 pm #5

I offer these ideas without having done a dio myself, but I have many models in work and plenty of ideas for dios. So here's my take:

Will I have too many vehicles?
I think so. IMO a dio should have no more than 2 vehicles. With the number of models you have and their accesories you will be constructing for quite some time.

Would a workshop far back from the front have this much stuff?
Dunno. If you can find a photo or old video, that will help. However this takes away from your imagination. The whole idea behind a dio is to recreate an "event" so a photo helps here.

Am I suffering from advanced modeller`s syndrome?
Yes. Seek help immediately!

Will my wife kill me for spending so much dough?
Tough question. If your wife is making statements such as, "Why do you spend so much money on toys?", "Why don't you buy ME something?", "You spend more time in your (model) workshop than with me!" "I want flowers!", then it may be too late. You are doomed. You must find that delicate balance between keeping the woman pleased and keeping your addiction (modeling) funded. Good luck.

March 26th, 2002, 10:19 pm #6

The key to getting away with spending the money is to get the goods into the house without them noticing. Once it is on the bench, it blends in and she can't tell what has been there fro 3 weeks as oposed to 3 minutes. Your sencond choice is more drastic. Go buy a Harley-Davidson and give her the choice of spending money on that or the other toys. The models will win! Trust Me!

Robert"Still Tryin"Chianese

David Vogel
David Vogel

March 27th, 2002, 3:24 pm #7

I once built a large diorama depicting a U.S. Army maintenance area complete with three different Shermans in various stages of repair (two with Verlinden engines), one Sherman recovery vehicle, a jeep w/ trailer, a mechanic's shed with lots of tools, a bunch of jerry cans, 55 gallon drums, ammo boxes, and other accessories, and plenty of figures. I spent an entire summer working on just that one project and spent a ton of money on it.

It never one a damned thing at any contest I entered it in and I never really had room to display it anyway. Gradually I began to canibalize it by taking a barrel here and a jerry can there. Finally one day I decided to yank an entire M4 (early) from the diorama and enter it in a contest by itself. It has an open engine compartment with Verlinden's radial engine in it. This one model has won a butt load of awards in the three contests I've entered it in. In fact, I also grabbed the jeep w/ trailer from the diorama and it has also done very well at contests in the soft-skin category.

I think the original diorama was just so big with so much going on that you couldn't see the trees through the forest. All the detail work I did just got lost in the sheer size of it. So, my advice is to just keep it simple. People will notice your work more if they don't have so much to look at.

Warren Jones
Warren Jones

March 31st, 2002, 1:41 am #8

It`s easy,....It comes in a "hockey bag" with zipper.

"Hi honey, I`m home" She say`s " how was the game? I say, "I won....?...I,I mean we won", "Jeesh this thing is heavy!". "It ways like a tank"...Cheers.

Warren

Randy Jackson
Randy Jackson

April 2nd, 2002, 3:23 pm #9

Dear Gentleman...thanks for all of your input, especially about the last comment. Actually my wife is pretty cool about these things anyway..although the Harley Davidson..moving along..my final decision is to lose the Opel Blitz truck but keep everything else. I`ve seen some awesome new pictures in the new book from Fedorowicz about the 654 and they show repair scenes with just a Kubelwagen and stuff. So, thanks loads, lads, and happy modelling to all!

Anders G
Anders G

April 25th, 2002, 5:15 pm #10

Or, if you want to compete, do as everybody else. Actually, I would like to make/see a really big scene from a workshop company, including mechanics, the workshop, trailers, vehicles for repair/cannibalization, etc. A really mess in other words. It might not win you any prizes, but if you are happy, does it matter?