Diorama Filler

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Diorama Filler

Jeff Hedwink
Jeff Hedwink

May 18th, 2001, 2:26 am #1

I'm building a small diorama which basically has a Tamiya Cromwell with a close support howitzer on it moving up a road with a few moving infantry figures. I want it to be based shortly after the d-day landings, when british and commonwealth troops were pushing east to free up shipping ports. I have quite a few pics of british tanks (including my howitzer cromwell) motoring across french farm fields and road. What i am looking for is something small that the crew and troops might be staring at as they passed. Most of my photos show destroyed half-tracks and self-propelled anti-aircrafts guns in the back ground but that is too large. I was thinking a stationary anti-aircraft gun abandoned or destroyed might be appropriate. Anyone have any better ideas, or know of a stationary anti-aircraft gun which might be applicable for the time frame?

Thanks once again

Jeff

Patrick Down
Patrick Down

May 18th, 2001, 3:23 am #2

Tamiya do/did a 20mm AA gun.

Both Tamiya and Italeri produce a 37 mm AA gun.

Alternatively, you might consider an abandoned 75mm anti-tank gun.

HTH

Patrick

Johan Augustsson
Johan Augustsson

May 18th, 2001, 5:48 am #3

As far as I know the Germans threw in everything they had, so a mortar- or machinegun pit is my tip. Tamiya produces a German mortar.
(I've been thinking of using this 'filler' myself...)
/Johan

Jeff Hedwink
Jeff Hedwink

May 18th, 2001, 11:58 am #4

I'm building a small diorama which basically has a Tamiya Cromwell with a close support howitzer on it moving up a road with a few moving infantry figures. I want it to be based shortly after the d-day landings, when british and commonwealth troops were pushing east to free up shipping ports. I have quite a few pics of british tanks (including my howitzer cromwell) motoring across french farm fields and road. What i am looking for is something small that the crew and troops might be staring at as they passed. Most of my photos show destroyed half-tracks and self-propelled anti-aircrafts guns in the back ground but that is too large. I was thinking a stationary anti-aircraft gun abandoned or destroyed might be appropriate. Anyone have any better ideas, or know of a stationary anti-aircraft gun which might be applicable for the time frame?

Thanks once again

Jeff
I like the idea of a mortar or abandoned machine gun. But the DML set 6147 with the 7.5cm Leichtgeschutz 40 is pretty appealing. Would this gun be appropriate for the time and area described? I wouldn't care about the figure uniforms as i wouldn't be using them right now (maybe someone to walk around a panther or tiger if i ever get the desire to build one). As far as kits go 7 figures and 2 light guns for 15 CDN seems like a pretty good deal.

Thanks

Jeff

Jonathon JJ Jackhammer Herring
Jonathon JJ Jackhammer Herring

May 18th, 2001, 12:48 pm #5

Thanks once again

Jeff
Verlinden makes dead germans and dead horses.These usually turned a soilders head.Sometimes causing them to stop and reflect on the dire deed at hand.A motorcycle(tamiya and Italeri both make one)down on it's side with a dead german wil fill some space.
Another thought,The dead grunt could be british or American(depending on the viablity of timeline and history).
Just a few ideas.Hope they help and good modelling,
Jon

Ron Volstad
Ron Volstad

May 18th, 2001, 2:23 pm #6

I like the idea of a mortar or abandoned machine gun. But the DML set 6147 with the 7.5cm Leichtgeschutz 40 is pretty appealing. Would this gun be appropriate for the time and area described? I wouldn't care about the figure uniforms as i wouldn't be using them right now (maybe someone to walk around a panther or tiger if i ever get the desire to build one). As far as kits go 7 figures and 2 light guns for 15 CDN seems like a pretty good deal.

Thanks

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

The LG40 is pretty much associated with Fallschirmjager units (perhaps mountaintroops too).
Thus IF there were any of these recoilless guns in the
Normandy front, they would have been facing the American forces further west.

You might consider Tamiya's Flak 38 2cm gun. These antiaircraft guns were rather ubiquitus and might be found on or off their trailer, simply abandoned by
by the road. A dug in position would realistically
require double the space, plus the additional ammo
storage etc.

Hope this is a bit helpful.

Cheers,
Ron V

Jeff Hedwink
Jeff Hedwink

May 18th, 2001, 2:40 pm #7

I didn't really expect that to work out. I knew they were attached to paratroopers, I was just unsure where they were deployed. Part of the reason the option seemed so appealing was your box art. Anytime your planning to make a reference book of your box art, put me down for one.

Thanks

Jeff

Clarence Prigent
Clarence Prigent

May 18th, 2001, 3:47 pm #8

Thanks once again

Jeff
You could use rifles and hats and simulate some sort of cemetery where both US and German would be buried at the same place. And to add a final touch, one civilian with flowers in his hands and praying for those soldiers.

Regards,

Clarence Prigent

Stuke Sowle
Stuke Sowle

May 18th, 2001, 11:31 pm #9

Thanks once again

Jeff
How about a young lady or two strolling down the road in the opposite direction? I believe that CD's just released a set of ladies walking there bikes.....

Of course, the ladies always turn my head so I am biased a bit!

Happy Modelling!
Stuke

Jeff Hedwink
Jeff Hedwink

May 19th, 2001, 12:14 am #10

I like this idea as well, and since figures take up less space it got me to thinking. ADV/Azimut makes a figure in 1/35 of an exasperated looking french farmer balancing a hoe between his foot and hand. This would work very well I think. He has a slightly upset look to his face which i think any farmer would have if a column of tanks were making a mess of the back 40.

My question is has anyone purchase ADV/Azimut figures before, what is the quality? Or can anyone suggest other figures which could be used as farmers/rustic civilians or to meld this with the idea above a farmers daughter?

Thanks

Jeff