diorama bases

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

diorama bases

chris kelm
chris kelm

June 21st, 2001, 12:12 am #1

I would like to know where I can find good quality wood bases for dioramas that will not warp in time even if you seal the wood?

Alexander Borgia
Alexander Borgia

June 21st, 2001, 7:51 pm #2

It's been 25 years since I have had woodworking theory, but it seems to me that particle board will not warp on its own, and in the old days we used simple shellac as a sealant. Could be wrong though, size of the board both thickness and dimensions can play a part.

Kevin Keefe
Kevin Keefe

June 22nd, 2001, 2:51 am #3

I would like to know where I can find good quality wood bases for dioramas that will not warp in time even if you seal the wood?
Hi,

I've used both pine and oak wood bases in the past. Some as large as 12"x10" with good results. Maybe some slight bowing, but nothing serious enough to have to do over.

I sand the wood good, then I apply a good stain, wipe off the excess and let dry. I will then apply 3-5 coats of polyurethane, fine sanding in between coats. The same even coats all around the board.

12X10 is about the largest I've done so far.

HTH,
Kevin Keefe
http://www.mortarsinminiature.com