Diorama and barb wire fence

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Diorama and barb wire fence

Matt Carlson
Matt Carlson

August 19th, 2003, 2:31 am #1

I am constructing a diorama of a barricaded road with a halftrack hiding in damaged building for ambush.A tiger tank is deciding where to go,and im woundering where roads like this evr lined with barbed wire fences??

The red arrows indicate where the tank traps are.The yellow arrow is where the fence would go. Thanks for the help. Heses the pic:

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/e ... D=86015812

Jakko Westerbeke
Jakko Westerbeke

August 19th, 2003, 10:03 am #2

You do not appear to be the owner of this album.
Make sure you are logged in.

is what I get when I try to look at the images you link to...

What kind of road are you referring to? If it's a small road in your average north-western European country, then I think putting a barbed-wire fence next to it is not a problem. At least, if you're talking about the kind of fence used to keep the cows in their field.

Matt Carlson
Matt Carlson

August 19th, 2003, 6:42 pm #3

Jakko Westerbeke
Jakko Westerbeke

August 20th, 2003, 6:49 pm #4

Where and when is the scene in your diorama supposed to take place? That's a fairly important thing when it comes to deciding what kinds of fences etc. to place in it.

Matt Carlson
Matt Carlson

August 20th, 2003, 10:57 pm #5

it is located in western europe (france) and time is really mid 1944.(I know the tank is early)

Stephan Bock
Stephan Bock

August 21st, 2003, 8:41 am #6

I am constructing a diorama of a barricaded road with a halftrack hiding in damaged building for ambush.A tiger tank is deciding where to go,and im woundering where roads like this evr lined with barbed wire fences??

The red arrows indicate where the tank traps are.The yellow arrow is where the fence would go. Thanks for the help. Heses the pic:

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/e ... D=86015812
be careful on wire fences for WW II times!

I dont say that there werent any (quite surely someone would pull out a photo showiong one ), but consider the following:
- in general fields in western and central europe were more and much smaller then today
- wire (barbed or not) was comparable much more expansive then planting a hedge or buidling a fence from wood (almost all farmers had their part of forest)

So when it comes down, more likely then not a fiedls would have been seperated by some hedges (esp France), with a wood fence and gate where appropriate (or stone walls where there were lots of stones). For fields that werent used to herd animals there might be no fence at all besides were necessary to hold the deer out of it.

But if you want to do some artistic licence, feel free to use wire, could have been a particulary rhich farmer, wo knows

Stephan