Differences in 1/35th railway track ! For anoraks.

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Differences in 1/35th railway track ! For anoraks.

August 2nd, 2009, 9:36 am #1

Hi
For those planning any dios with various plastic kit railway tracks, be warned, they all vary slightly. I'm trying to finish a dio with the Italeri AB40 railcar, at a level crossing with scratchbuilt signal box, as used in Yugoslavia. My obs are as follows -

Italeri track -
Inner gauge 40.5mm. Neat looking track, offset centre bolt. Med length sleepers. Rail length is shortest of the 3 types. Not enough of it to do much with, apart from static model.

RPM track -
Inner gauge - hard to keep at 40.5mm, as rails are soft plastic and bend easily, thus tricky to fix exactly onto the sleepers. Sleeper length is v short, being the shortest of all, but some Russian sleepers were so ! There is little leeway for error, esp as no template provided, apart from measurements on box art. No location holes for the clasps (shoes?), but includes separate bolt details (a pain to add). Rail length is medium of the 3 types.

Revell track -
Inner gauge - nearly 42.0mm, overwide for some other kit types, eg my AB40. Rails just slides between the 3 'nail' keepers on sleepers. Sleepers are longest of all. No bolts provided. A plastic ballast display template is provided to hold and alternate the sleepers, and set up exactly, but if used it's hard to get the sleepers out afterwards due to the tight fit. I could cut the track through the middle to narrow it, if made neat enough. Rail length is longest of the 3 types. Generally, the most impressive / longest / largest.

Dragon + Trumpeter track - none held, so no comments. All donations welcome !

I'm still unsure as to which track is best suited for which country. All advice welcome. Ian Sadler suggests the 3 pinned Revell track would be best for a Yugo diorama. Overall, none can be easily used with other tracks.

Cheers
Andrew

August 2nd, 2009, 2:25 pm #2

Awhile ago when DML released their s-p armored rail cars and rolling stock, and when I was busily cooking diorama ideas that never came to be, I purchased some sets of railroad track made by Ironside. If I recall correctly, there was a meter of track in each set. Ties (sleepers) were linked together by sprues to ensure correct spacing when rails were slid into place through the plates. The sets included some trackside signalling posts and some other miscellaneous stuff I cannot now remember (the sets are stowed in a closet at the other end of the house).

My recollection is that I liked the look of these better than the track sets incldued with the DML kits. My recollection, however, does not do much towards a valid comparison with your careful statistical record. Still, you might look for them.

Hope this helps a little.

Bob Potter

August 5th, 2009, 9:43 pm #3

Hi
For those planning any dios with various plastic kit railway tracks, be warned, they all vary slightly. I'm trying to finish a dio with the Italeri AB40 railcar, at a level crossing with scratchbuilt signal box, as used in Yugoslavia. My obs are as follows -

Italeri track -
Inner gauge 40.5mm. Neat looking track, offset centre bolt. Med length sleepers. Rail length is shortest of the 3 types. Not enough of it to do much with, apart from static model.

RPM track -
Inner gauge - hard to keep at 40.5mm, as rails are soft plastic and bend easily, thus tricky to fix exactly onto the sleepers. Sleeper length is v short, being the shortest of all, but some Russian sleepers were so ! There is little leeway for error, esp as no template provided, apart from measurements on box art. No location holes for the clasps (shoes?), but includes separate bolt details (a pain to add). Rail length is medium of the 3 types.

Revell track -
Inner gauge - nearly 42.0mm, overwide for some other kit types, eg my AB40. Rails just slides between the 3 'nail' keepers on sleepers. Sleepers are longest of all. No bolts provided. A plastic ballast display template is provided to hold and alternate the sleepers, and set up exactly, but if used it's hard to get the sleepers out afterwards due to the tight fit. I could cut the track through the middle to narrow it, if made neat enough. Rail length is longest of the 3 types. Generally, the most impressive / longest / largest.

Dragon + Trumpeter track - none held, so no comments. All donations welcome !

I'm still unsure as to which track is best suited for which country. All advice welcome. Ian Sadler suggests the 3 pinned Revell track would be best for a Yugo diorama. Overall, none can be easily used with other tracks.

Cheers
Andrew
from your discription of the revel tracks, they sound just like the Dragon/DML ones I have. I had kept the rail to use, and chunked the base and sleepers. I was then going to use some basswood to make new sleepers with tie plates made from plastic and bolts cut from hex rod. I didnt get that far yet though....

I also have the RKM and was thinking of using that track for someprojects as I like the detail on the tie plates.

Andy

August 8th, 2009, 8:54 am #4

Apparently the pins are correct, they don't need bolts, as hammered in only.

Andrew

August 25th, 2009, 10:56 am #5

from your discription of the revel tracks, they sound just like the Dragon/DML ones I have. I had kept the rail to use, and chunked the base and sleepers. I was then going to use some basswood to make new sleepers with tie plates made from plastic and bolts cut from hex rod. I didnt get that far yet though....

I also have the RKM and was thinking of using that track for someprojects as I like the detail on the tie plates.

Andy

Hi Gents,

I'm totally neofit in the world of trains and rail ways,Please any of yours can tell me the meassures-distance between the two paralels rails?.

I have to design two differents sections of rail ways,one straight an one curve,boths in 1/48 scale.

Thanks an advance,

Tom

September 23rd, 2009, 9:25 pm #6

Keep in touch.

Andrew