destroyed sherman

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

destroyed sherman

karl
karl

February 10th, 2003, 6:15 pm #1

Iam going to do a diorama with 3tanks,tiger1,marder3and a knocked out sherman.what would be the best way to make the sherman look like it had been smashed by the mighty tiger.please note the sherman is already built+painted,any one who has an idea please let me know thanks.....

Jeff Larkin
Jeff Larkin

February 10th, 2003, 11:03 pm #2

It could have just a Hole in it from a hit or it could be blown up. It depends where the hit was made and the results of the hit. You may want to put a hole (the equilivent of an 88 hit_ in it by the ammo storage and have it burned. Or a Hit in the transmission housing which would have disabled it? You can go lots of routes with this Idea. I would suggest you search for knocked out sherman pictures and find wone you think looks good to you.
HTH
Jeff Larkin

Karl Flavell
Karl Flavell

February 14th, 2003, 5:34 pm #3

Iam going to do a diorama with 3tanks,tiger1,marder3and a knocked out sherman.what would be the best way to make the sherman look like it had been smashed by the mighty tiger.please note the sherman is already built+painted,any one who has an idea please let me know thanks.....
The After The Battle book on Villers Bocage has got some excellent photos of knocked out allied armour including a couple of Shermans but it really does depend on how much damage you want to do. There are numerous pics of knocked out Cromwells which can be cross referenced for types of damage which at the end of the day when a medium tank gets hit the damage is pretty much universal. Hope that's of some help.

Robert Lockie
Robert Lockie

February 24th, 2003, 1:47 pm #4

Bear in mind that Shermans in particular almost invariably burned when the experienced a penetrating hit, and given that the model is already finished, a broken track might be your easiest bet - crews tend to bale out when the vehicle is immobilised as the next shot may well be better aimed and they may then be unable to reoccupy it later. The other option for a relatively undamaged vehcile is to have it in a ditch - once the tracks cannot gain traction (e.g. if the belly plate is resting on the ground), it is going nowhere without a tow.