Decal colour change

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Decal colour change

June 19th, 2017, 1:21 pm #1

I am building a Merit Diamond T Tank Transporter in original British colour as painted by the factory 'Coronado Tan' The colour has been recently found on a transporter in Europe with the 'Strong Man' lifting a tank & this was white. Unfortunately the Star Decals have used yellow for their version & I wondered if there was a way to use these decals as a stencil; I have thought of painting the door in white, putting the decal on then spraying the Coranado Tan over the top then removing the decal which I think is chancy. Anyone has any ideas?
All help will be gratefully received
TIA Howard.

There seems to be some confusion over what decal am trying to change the colour of. The Star Decals I mentioned above is a company which used to be Bison Decals, hence the use of capital letters, this does not refer to Allied stars which were not around in North Africa at this time. The strong man referred to above was depiction of the character holding a tank above his head! Google Star Decals 35-963 M19 Diamond T tank transporter Middle East & the Western Desert, to get a visual of the 'Strong Man'.
Last edited by Howard N Robins on June 23rd, 2017, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 19th, 2017, 11:40 pm #2

Apply the decal and paint it white.

June 20th, 2017, 9:55 am #3

I am building a Merit Diamond T Tank Transporter in original British colour as painted by the factory 'Coronado Tan' The colour has been recently found on a transporter in Europe with the 'Strong Man' lifting a tank & this was white. Unfortunately the Star Decals have used yellow for their version & I wondered if there was a way to use these decals as a stencil; I have thought of painting the door in white, putting the decal on then spraying the Coranado Tan over the top then removing the decal which I think is chancy. Anyone has any ideas?
TIA Howard.

There seems to be some confusion over what decal am trying to change the colour of. The Star Decals I mentioned above is a company which used to be Bison Decals, hence the use of capital letters, this does not refer to Allied stars which were not around in North Africa at this time. The strong man referred to above was depiction of the character holding a tank above his head! Google Star Decals 35-963 M19 Diamond T tank transporter Middle East & the Western Desert, to get a visual of the 'Strong Man'.
Google your favourite online vendors or auction sites...

Your options are Stencils, and/or Paint Masks, PE or Vinyl:

J's Work Marking Mask for 1/35 WWII US Star for ShermanPPA5028 or Eduard 1/35 US Stars Medium paint mask # XT004 or many others

Or aftermarket rub-down transfers/decals:

Archer, or Peddinghaus, Xtradecal, Star Decal, or many others.

Alternatively, trace the yellow decal outline on Tamiya tape & spray your own. I think painting your vehicle OD, then paint the white star on top, I think that looks better.

June 21st, 2017, 1:58 pm #4

TIA Howard.

Easily

It would be much easier to just buy some pre cut vinyl star stencils (Eduard and others), photo-etch template/stencil, aftermarket waterslide or dry transfer stars (Archer has both) etc.

Or, you can cut your own using Tamiya wide tape or something similar. Put the tape on a piece of glass or tile, lay out the stars and cut them out with a knife. Paint the doors white, apply the star mask, and then paint the tan.

These are for aircraft but would work on armor
Last edited by David Nickels on June 21st, 2017, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAVID NICKELS

June 22nd, 2017, 10:20 pm #5

TIA Howard.

from kid's school stickers. Various sizes. How urgent? Also Letraset ones.

Cheers
Andrew

June 23rd, 2017, 11:30 am #6

TIA Howard.

Please reread edited text above.

June 24th, 2017, 8:49 pm #7

Can't help.

Cheers
Andrew