Das Reich S21

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Das Reich S21

June 3rd, 2012, 3:20 am #1

Dragon CH Ferhmann kit with items from the Initial kit and Tunisian kit, WWII Tracks, Voyager PE. Vallejo and Tamiya paint. MIG and AK finishing. Grass is Heki, though I touched it up with more green.

I had issues with the mud and I can tell you, do not use plaster in the mix of the MIG or AK because it comes out really smooth. Pigments are way better, but if you want a runnier mud, then use plaster. The only thing I would change is that I put mud on the inner wheels and I should not have since my build was not to look like it was up to the wheels in it. Just collecting on the outer edges. But after I did it, then slept on it, I realized my error.

This represents S21 during Kursk. It broke down, tranny issue, no reverse, and spent a couple of days in repair. It rained all night and now the crew is in a hurry to get back to the front. The mud on the front is there because of the try out in reverse to make sure the tranny was fixed.
Last edited by Ron Hetherington on June 3rd, 2012, 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 3rd, 2012, 8:57 am #2

I see where you mean it's too muddy on the front - but it's done now.
Suggest you tone down the 'red' exhausts too.

Cheers
Andrew

June 3rd, 2012, 5:21 pm #3

Dragon CH Ferhmann kit with items from the Initial kit and Tunisian kit, WWII Tracks, Voyager PE. Vallejo and Tamiya paint. MIG and AK finishing. Grass is Heki, though I touched it up with more green.

I had issues with the mud and I can tell you, do not use plaster in the mix of the MIG or AK because it comes out really smooth. Pigments are way better, but if you want a runnier mud, then use plaster. The only thing I would change is that I put mud on the inner wheels and I should not have since my build was not to look like it was up to the wheels in it. Just collecting on the outer edges. But after I did it, then slept on it, I realized my error.

This represents S21 during Kursk. It broke down, tranny issue, no reverse, and spent a couple of days in repair. It rained all night and now the crew is in a hurry to get back to the front. The mud on the front is there because of the try out in reverse to make sure the tranny was fixed.
You should build for commission.

June 3rd, 2012, 10:40 pm #4

I see where you mean it's too muddy on the front - but it's done now.
Suggest you tone down the 'red' exhausts too.

Cheers
Andrew
I tried to get it as S32, but with each sponge bath, I could not get the look I wanted, so I thru in the towel.

June 5th, 2012, 8:53 pm #5

Well done Ron - I am impressed, many thanks for sharing with us.

Bill