Dailer-Benz- Panther G's features--??

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Dailer-Benz- Panther G's features--??

October 24th, 2011, 10:35 pm #1

I have the Dragon Panther G kit #6268. I wanted to know what type camo scheme DB used on its late Panther G's. I have read 2 version that they used a 3 tone soft edge scheme as well as a diagonal 3 tone scheme.
With regards to features:

What would I have to do to this particular kit to sport a Daimler Benz production G? Addition/elimination of certain parts etc...

October 25th, 2011, 2:08 am #2

on left bin only, and sometimes mid hull side.
this type of wide wavy line camo pattern.

the dotted ambush pattern, only DB applied that to panthers IIRC.

October 25th, 2011, 11:24 am #3

I have the Dragon Panther G kit #6268. I wanted to know what type camo scheme DB used on its late Panther G's. I have read 2 version that they used a 3 tone soft edge scheme as well as a diagonal 3 tone scheme.

What would I have to do to this particular kit to sport a Daimler Benz production G? Addition/elimination of certain parts etc...
Here is a list from a discussion from a few months back I started.

Not my list, but tells the differences.

Damiler-Benz:

Balkenkreuzen in D-B positions
lhs behind wire cutter*
rhs behind hammer
lhs rear bin
(Final instead) *lhs behind space vacated by rod container

Medium-late turret and hull features (pils, splinter guards etc)

Crew heater
Poison-gas panels
Either mantlet
Slatted engine deck covers rhs
18 holes plugged on rear deck
Deleted rear shock absorber and bump stop
66omm idler
(Some) IR-ready features on turret
(Some) IR-box on hull rear rhs
Flammenvernichters
DB-style flat-bottomed cast exhaust stacks (C3 and C4)
Spare wheel bracket on turret rear quarters (see recent forum and Roddys illustration)
No foliage hooks
Cupola (possibly) still with MG rail
Trailing small wheel behind drive sprocket (not MNH-style skid-shoe)

(Final ones)

*Rod container and straps not fitted
Flammenvernichters with cowls
No MG rail but still no MG stub fitting

October 25th, 2011, 11:54 am #4

What about spare track brackets on the turret?

Are there any pics of the spare wheel brackets on the turret rear quarters and how these look like?

With regards to one of the statments listed :

"Medium-late turret and hull features (pils, splinter guards etc)"

Excuse my ignorance on Panthers, but could you explain to me what the PILS - "SPLINTER GUARDS" are?

If the gun cleaning rod tube was deleted, did they install them elsewhere or not at all?

October 25th, 2011, 12:02 pm #5

I also would like to make the G model I have a command tank, with the star antenna...any particular features for this aside from the 3 antennas?

October 25th, 2011, 1:19 pm #6

Daimler-Benz did not manufacture befehls-Panthers. Only M.A.N. did.

DG

October 25th, 2011, 2:10 pm #7

What about spare track brackets on the turret?

Are there any pics of the spare wheel brackets on the turret rear quarters and how these look like?

With regards to one of the statments listed :

"Medium-late turret and hull features (pils, splinter guards etc)"

Excuse my ignorance on Panthers, but could you explain to me what the PILS - "SPLINTER GUARDS" are?

If the gun cleaning rod tube was deleted, did they install them elsewhere or not at all?

Mark,

-None of the factories installed track hangers for the turret. Those are modifications done at the unit level.

-Pils (short for Pilsen) are the three stubby sockets on the turret roof. A small jib boom could be attached to them.

-The splinter guard is the sheet metal piece that attached to the top front of the turret and extended over the mantle. This helped to keep debris from getting behind the gun mantle and jamming gun elevation.

-The deleated gun cleaning tube is not in evidence anywhere else. Perhaps they stowed somewhere inside the tank?

-As Gary mentioned, Roddy did an excellent illustration of the spare wheel hangers several months ago. Do a search of this forum and you should be able to find it.

Regards,

John

October 25th, 2011, 2:56 pm #8

Daimler-Benz did not manufacture befehls-Panthers. Only M.A.N. did.

DG
Well then--- What are the MAN features? Shows you how much I know :-)

October 25th, 2011, 3:19 pm #9

I also would like to make the G model I have a command tank, with the star antenna...any particular features for this aside from the 3 antennas?
special features for a befehls Panther:

- star antenna
- special holder for the additional mast for the star antenna (placed under the gun cleaning rods bin)
- additional radio socket on the turret
- closed coaxial MG emplacement
Last edited by spitfire-303 on October 25th, 2011, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 25th, 2011, 4:56 pm #10

...the socket and clamp on the right-side rear stowage bin used to hold the mast upright.

Regards,

John