Custom Dioramics German Flak Bunker Questions

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Custom Dioramics German Flak Bunker Questions

James D.Farrow
James D.Farrow

August 21st, 2001, 2:50 pm #1

Hi, I read the review for the Custom Dioramics Kit# 7002 German Flak Bunker, which says it is pretty good.
Looks good too.

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the base?

It look like it is 10 or 12" square. Yes? No?

Would they have had these in Tunisia (for DAK)?

Thanks,

James

Brian J Tears
Brian J Tears

August 21st, 2001, 4:56 pm #2

Hello James,
Although there were many bunkers on the Mareth Line. I believe they were built earlier by the French before Air power was the real thing.The Flak bunkers were quickly assembled at the time and were more than likely sandbagged pits connected to the main bunkers. The main bunkers were observation and ground gun emplacements the main gun being the French 1897 75mm field gun.Hope this helps good luck and happy modelling.

Brian

James D.Farrow
James D.Farrow

August 21st, 2001, 5:11 pm #3

Thanks fot the reply Brian. But, I am not sure what you are saying. Can you please clarify.

This bunker would not have been used by the DAK?

(I was hoping to use it as a Headquarters. LOL!)

Thanks,

James

Brian J Tears
Brian J Tears

August 21st, 2001, 9:04 pm #4

Hello James,
I have gone to a few sites and can not get a picture of this bunker. But it is listed as a Flak 20/37 bunker and my experience with these Flak bunkers are of open cemented pits with no overhead. The Mareth Line bunker photos I have seen are closed in bunkers for observation and ground target weaponry. These bunkers were built by the French between wars as the Maginot Line and were not set up as Flak Emplacements. The Flak emplacements I have seen in Africa w/88's were sandbagged holes in the ground near important sites. This bunker I may well be wrong as I have not seen a pic of it sounds like an Atlantic Wall or Italian Line Bunker. I'm sorry I just do not believe it to be an African Bunker But I could very well be wrong.

Brian

August 21st, 2001, 9:37 pm #5

http://greatmodels.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=cds7002

They are calling it a German Flak Bunker.

Also, behind the easel, looks like a door. Yes? No?

Thanks,

James

Brian J Tears
Brian J Tears

August 21st, 2001, 10:41 pm #6

Hi James,
Looks real good I think your right about the door , but I don't think its a barracks door probably just an ammo locker. James I hope for you some one can say different but I truly doubt that this Bunker was ever in Africa. It truly looks Atlantic wall or Seigfreid Line to me . The price looks good though. I hope I haven't rained on you I truly didn't mean to. Do you have this already if you need a gun for it I have a bunch of old Mobelwagens I could give you a gun if you want it. Good luck and happy modelling.

Brian

August 21st, 2001, 11:43 pm #7

Thanks! No, I haven't bought it yet. Was just thinking about it. It does look great though. Thought it would really look great in my DAK dio.

Also, another site gave the description as a German Flak 20/37 Emplacement bunker. I searched for a kit of 20/37 (the size of the Flak Gun, I gather) but no such kit. (not on GM anyway)

Anyway, I will take your word for it not being appropriate for Tunisia, unless someone else has a picture or something. (I can always hope! LOL!)

Thanks again,

James

David Spacek
David Spacek

August 22nd, 2001, 6:23 am #8

Hi guys,
just check following link:

http://site.voila.fr/smallworld/
(go to the references section)

You'll find there the pictures of flak emplacements at the French coast. It will not answer your question regarding the Africa issue, but it gives you very good references...
Cheers
David

Iwailo Tzenow
Iwailo Tzenow

August 23rd, 2001, 9:41 am #9

Hello James,
Although there were many bunkers on the Mareth Line. I believe they were built earlier by the French before Air power was the real thing.The Flak bunkers were quickly assembled at the time and were more than likely sandbagged pits connected to the main bunkers. The main bunkers were observation and ground gun emplacements the main gun being the French 1897 75mm field gun.Hope this helps good luck and happy modelling.

Brian
Go to http://www.siteo.net , aplace for fortifications all over the world, there is a link of a german club visiting bunkers of all kind and all ages in Germany and outside, and there is a report about a visit to the Mareth line (in german lenguage) with photos. This line is just in military use, a fact that was new to me. Sorry, but I have name and link of these fellows not at hand.

HTH - Iwailo

Iwailo Tzenow
Iwailo Tzenow

August 24th, 2001, 2:36 pm #10

Hello James,

Brian
http://www.bunker-ig.de is the homepage with interesting reports in german lenguage and links, Mareth line is stored with "Axels Reisebericht/Tunesien". It holds 5 images and an overall map. The author tried to find Rommels command post in the desert, but lost the way and was glad to find back. The exact link is http://www.bunker-ig.de/big/Berichte/Ma ... linie.html .

HTH - Iwailo