Currently in progress: Churchill MkIV AVRE w/Fascine

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Currently in progress: Churchill MkIV AVRE w/Fascine

June 17th, 2012, 3:12 pm #1

Hi Guys,

This is what I currently have underway on the bench; A churchill AVRE with fascine, which is modelled after the real one 'SABRE' from pictures in the IWM collections

So far so good, plenty fixed and detailed, but its slow going. I've crushed the front of teh suspension slightly to show the added weight of the fascine, added welds all over the shop, casting texture, scratched the exhaust shield plate and various other bits.

Anyway, all comments and opinions welcome

Chris

This is the one I'm doing:

(picture copyright Imperial War Museum, used for discussion only etc)
Last edited by ChrisDM on June 17th, 2012, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 17th, 2012, 8:51 pm #2

Looking forward to your progress,

This is the first time I've noticed that the fascine in this pic has three hollow tubes in the center.

best regards,

Marc Brandes

Replace dod in email address

June 18th, 2012, 12:18 am #3

Hi Guys,

This is what I currently have underway on the bench; A churchill AVRE with fascine, which is modelled after the real one 'SABRE' from pictures in the IWM collections

So far so good, plenty fixed and detailed, but its slow going. I've crushed the front of teh suspension slightly to show the added weight of the fascine, added welds all over the shop, casting texture, scratched the exhaust shield plate and various other bits.

Chris

Chris,
Sorry, I couldn't resist! Great work, though.
Regards,
Georg

PS-swap the "at" for an "@"

June 18th, 2012, 1:02 am #4

Hi Guys,

Chris

I like the look of the REME vehicles because they have much more character in my eyes. I will watch you build with interest. Please keep up the great attention to detail.

June 18th, 2012, 2:34 am #5

Looking forward to your progress,

This is the first time I've noticed that the fascine in this pic has three hollow tubes in the center.

best regards,

Marc Brandes

Replace dod in email address
Actually, the tube is a problem. They appear to have used a corrugated metal pipe for this, and I'm having real trouble finding scale pipe to match it. I might be forced to scratch the pipe from rings if I can'y solve the problem

Chris

June 18th, 2012, 2:34 am #6

Chris,
Sorry, I couldn't resist! Great work, though.
Regards,
Georg

PS-swap the "at" for an "@"
Very good Georg lol

June 18th, 2012, 2:36 am #7

I like the look of the REME vehicles because they have much more character in my eyes. I will watch you build with interest. Please keep up the great attention to detail.
These AVREs do appear to be very individual Ian, perhaps due to the way they were build on a variety of available components. Luckily, by digging around I've found three more views of it to work from. Still a Loooooong way to go on this one

June 18th, 2012, 1:24 pm #8

Actually, the tube is a problem. They appear to have used a corrugated metal pipe for this, and I'm having real trouble finding scale pipe to match it. I might be forced to scratch the pipe from rings if I can'y solve the problem

Chris
Chris,

The progress on the AVRE looks great.

A suggestion on the pipe, especially since it only needs to be seen from the end. Find some plastic tubing the size of I.D. Wrap it with a spiral of thin wire, then burnish a sheet of thin aluminum or lead foil over this. Remove the metal from the forming pipe and put the joining side up where it would show the least. You may have to make several to get one good one but should work out alright.

Hope this might help.

Cheers,
Rob

June 18th, 2012, 2:42 pm #9

If I get no luck sourcing a pipe I will definitely give that a try

Thanks

Chris

Inside the Armour
www.insidethearmour.com

June 18th, 2012, 4:07 pm #10

Chris,

Thanks, but I must admit it's not my idea originally. I saw a fellow post a beautiful road racing car on Hyperscale a few years back where he had duplicated flexible ducting hose for brake cooling by similar means. It looked perfect. So I'm sure it can work.

Good Luck,
Rob