Cromwell lVf.

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

Cromwell lVf.

March 18th, 2012, 6:37 pm #1

Finally, I've managed to finish the Cromwell. I thought that the displaced suspension would look right crossing a railway line.
Now I can get back to the Challenger.

Cheers,

John.

March 19th, 2012, 2:18 pm #2

Congrats my friend.

Domin

March 19th, 2012, 3:09 pm #3

Finally, I've managed to finish the Cromwell. I thought that the displaced suspension would look right crossing a railway line.

Cheers,

John.
I have the same kit and AA resin in my stash for a Korean-war Cromwell at some point.

The mods you've made to the running gear are excellent, you don't see that sort of work often with those Tamiya cast hulls, well done.

March 19th, 2012, 8:23 pm #4

Cheers,

John.
Thanks for the comments. It's actually quite easy to alter the suspension on Tamiya's cast hulls(at least on a Cromwell). Just razor saw the stubbs off, drill new holes further up the hull and insert new axles, in my case, plastic tubing. The hard part is trying to get the Tamiya tracks to conform to the new route. Definately a need for individual track links.

Regards,

John.

March 20th, 2012, 10:30 am #5

Cheers,

John.
Nice work!!!

March 20th, 2012, 5:34 pm #6

Cheers,

John.
Wow, that is very impressive work. Would love to see a "mini tutorial" on how you modified the metal tub.
What etch set did you use? Also, what stowage set? Do you have any unpainted photos of it?

Very nice!

March 21st, 2012, 11:09 am #7

Cheers,

John.
Hi John,

You made very beautiful Cromwell.
A sense of reality of the photograph itself
which you performed reference of comes.

Congratulations.

Best regards,
Masanori Sato(Toku)

March 21st, 2012, 11:56 am #8

Wow, that is very impressive work. Would love to see a "mini tutorial" on how you modified the metal tub.
What etch set did you use? Also, what stowage set? Do you have any unpainted photos of it?

Very nice!
Hi Patrick,
Thanks for the comments. Here are some wip photos of the Cromwell. Sorry, I don't have any with the stowage attached prior to painting.
The suspension proved to be surprisingly easy to modify. Using an Exacto razor saw, I cut off the required axle stubs and then drilled holes higher up the hull for the new axles which I made from plastic tubing. I used tubing of a size close to the diameter of the axle holes on the back of the road wheels. I wanted them to be loose fitting so that I could slide the wheels off again once I'd attached the tracks. The tracks were the biggest problem. As they are link and length, they had to be "persuaded" to take up the shape of the new run.
I used Haulers set for the Cromwell,HLX48108, and various pieces from Blackdog's set for the Cromwell, T48002. Other pieces came from Blackdog's T48017 and T48026. These are excellent.
The main gun is from RB Models and the crew figures are from Fighting 48th's Comet set.

Regards,

John.

March 21st, 2012, 11:58 am #9

Hi John,

You made very beautiful Cromwell.
A sense of reality of the photograph itself
which you performed reference of comes.

Congratulations.

Best regards,
Masanori Sato(Toku)
Hi Toku,
Thanks for the kind words.

Regards,

John.

March 25th, 2012, 10:59 am #10

Cheers,

John.
good idea and good done job ! Nice scene.

Regards
Eik