Crazy Witch

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Crazy Witch

May 8th, 2012, 9:01 pm #1

Here's some shots of "Crazy Witch" a fictitious tank from a real unit. I use artistic licence because these are for gaming. Also here is a Japanese Type 41 Mountain Gun from Fujimi that's been heavily updated with spare parts and home fabricated parts. The Matilda is from Airfix and was also modified with plastruct bits to make it represent an Australian vehicle from late 1943 during the Finschhafen and Sattelburg battles in New Guinea.

May 8th, 2012, 11:26 pm #2

Another good example that the good old kits can be turned into masterpieces with patience and skill !! Well done and from a crisis point of view : Mathilda (airfix) + Fujimi gun set can be picked up together for about 7,50 dollar or so.
Maybe we all have these somewere in our old stash from the times when we payd for our kits in hafpence and saltstones.

Beautiful paintwork. Are you going to build the other Fujimi figuresets too ? I still want to see someone make the best of the Fujimi Germans Gasmasks horror set.

Regards, Alfred

May 9th, 2012, 2:40 am #3

Fujimi figure sets? Hmm. . . Ya, I don't think so. The Fujimi gasmask Germans are a horror show for more than one reason! I'm not sure if I could make those guys look good. As a kid I had their WWII British army set and they were most disappointing. Otherwise, thanks for the complement.

Ryan

May 9th, 2012, 11:20 am #4

Here's some shots of "Crazy Witch" a fictitious tank from a real unit. I use artistic licence because these are for gaming. Also here is a Japanese Type 41 Mountain Gun from Fujimi that's been heavily updated with spare parts and home fabricated parts. The Matilda is from Airfix and was also modified with plastruct bits to make it represent an Australian vehicle from late 1943 during the Finschhafen and Sattelburg battles in New Guinea.

Excellent work Ryan!

I've got a few Matildas in my stash and you've inspired me to break them out.

I took part in an exercise fighting over the Finschhafen and Satelberg battlegrounds in 1972. The 'enemy' (Pacific Islands Regiment as it then was) used still intact coconut log bunkers from WW2.

It's hard to imagine armour operating in that environment.

What figures have you used?

Cheers

David
David Clark
Bellarine Peninsula, Victoria, Australia

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be - Simone Signoret

May 9th, 2012, 11:24 am #5

Great work, I really like the weathering and the groundwork!

I don't recognise the figures, where did you get them from?

May 9th, 2012, 3:40 pm #6

Excellent work Ryan!

I've got a few Matildas in my stash and you've inspired me to break them out.

I took part in an exercise fighting over the Finschhafen and Satelberg battlegrounds in 1972. The 'enemy' (Pacific Islands Regiment as it then was) used still intact coconut log bunkers from WW2.

It's hard to imagine armour operating in that environment.

What figures have you used?

Cheers

David
Ya! I looked at the area on google earth and mostly the mountains come right down to the sea or there are several rivers and streams running from the mountains to the ocean. However, that's where Matildas first saw action. I did see some coastal plains, so that must be where the tanks were. Plus, apparently, the slow slogging Matildas performed well in jungle conditions.

The figures are a mix of Matchbox, Esci, Airfix and one crappy Fujimi gun crew member, modified with a head and some gear from Waterloo 1815's Japanese. Also, the Airfix Japanese soldier with the horse has a Waterloo head to keep him consistent. The other 2 gun crew are the Esci machine gunner with the gun cut away and some other guy doing nothing with his rifle and spade cut away. The Aussie troop commander is from the Matchbox British Infantry set. One of my all-time favorite figures! I read that Australian tank troop commanders fought dismounted for better target acquisition and improved infantry/armour cooperation. I doubt they wore the 37 pattern webbing, but I could not resist.

Last edited by RDavies on May 9th, 2012, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 9th, 2012, 3:41 pm #7

Great work, I really like the weathering and the groundwork!

I don't recognise the figures, where did you get them from?
Thanks, Ian! I answered your figure questions in a response above.