Couple Sherman Photo etch questions

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Couple Sherman Photo etch questions

July 29th, 2012, 7:26 pm #1

First off, does anyone make a replacement PE set for what I'm assuming is the early style taillight guards on the M4A1? Instead of the rounded "T" shape that is found on other Shermans, it has an extra "rear" leg to it. The Tasca kits give to you in plastic, but I'm wanting to replace them.

Also, any suggestions for PE chain for fuel cap pin holders etc....I tried using the chain that came with the Aber Sherman PE, but it looked out of scale to me.

Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

July 29th, 2012, 8:40 pm #2

Those are LLW type of guards, as seen here:

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minu ... _lima.html

I don't know of any aftermarket in this style, but make sure the tank you are modeling is a Lima tank before expending too much effort on acquiring some.

For chain I have loosely twisted two strands of fine armature wire together and cut lengths as needed.

KL

July 30th, 2012, 8:36 am #3

I have used Resicast very fine chain, 35-803 long chains look right if a little pricey.Ian Foster.
Last edited by wompmug on July 30th, 2012, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 30th, 2012, 1:55 pm #4

First off, does anyone make a replacement PE set for what I'm assuming is the early style taillight guards on the M4A1? Instead of the rounded "T" shape that is found on other Shermans, it has an extra "rear" leg to it. The Tasca kits give to you in plastic, but I'm wanting to replace them.

Also, any suggestions for PE chain for fuel cap pin holders etc....I tried using the chain that came with the Aber Sherman PE, but it looked out of scale to me.

I've looked at them all and I prefer the Royal straight chains from set 129. These have a small circle on the end that can be slipped over the pin on the cap for a realistic effect. The straight chains are best because they can be arranged in random shapes for maximum diversity.

Pat
MMiR

"My friend does not worry, all friendly are fanatical of steel of the tank."

July 30th, 2012, 1:59 pm #5

I have used both the finest chain on the Aber pe chain set and super fine chain that I picked up from a local model railroad shop. I believe the model railroad chain was around 30 links an inch. Sorry I don't have the packaging.
Kurt's twisted wire idea does sound like a good try too.

Jim Guld
Cheers
Jim Guld