Compulsory Registration on Discussion Groups

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Compulsory Registration on Discussion Groups

April 18th, 2005, 11:16 am #1

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Compulsory Registration to the Missing-Lynx Discussion Boards<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></B>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">We are implementing compulsory registration to the Missing-Lynx discussion boards as an additional security measure to protect visitors to the site.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">The application is two-fold.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Step 1<o:p></o:p></B>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">The first step is to create an account with Network 54. Some of you may already have one of these and it simply means that when you post messages it shows your username and, if you wish, your e-mail address.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">To create an account, simply click on ‘Create Account’ on the grey toolbar at the top of the index on any of the discussion boards. A verification e-mail will be sent to the e-mail address you provide and, once you have received this and followed the link within it, you will have a Network 54 account.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Step 2<o:p></o:p></B>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">The second stage is thus for all persons with a Network 54 account.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">Log-in to your account on any of the discussion boards. While logged in, click on the URL below:

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">http://www.network54.com/Group/76465

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">This should show you a table entitled ‘Missing-Lynx members’. This is the name of the membership group you will now be applying to. Click on ‘Apply to this group’. If it does not say ‘Apply to this group’, but says instead ‘You need Network 54 account to apply to this group’ this means that you have either not created a Network 54 account (see Step 1 above), or that you are not logged in on one of the discussion boards. Log in to one of the discussion boards and then refresh the page URL above.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">When you click on ‘Apply to this group’, it will confirm your e-mail address. You will then be sent an automatic e-mail which contains a verification key. Follow the key link provided in this e-mail and you will be automatically approved as a member of the Missing-Lynx members group.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">As of Wednesday 20 April, anybody who is not a member of this Missing-Lynx members group will only be able to read the discussion boards. You will not be able to post any messages. You will still be able to view this message and thus apply to become a member.

missing-lynx team

Brad Butkovich
Brad Butkovich

April 18th, 2005, 2:16 pm #2

I'm not passing judgement one way or the other. Just an observation/prediction.

This, coupled with the recent picture restrictions, spells the end of ML as THE premier armor modeling forum.

-Brad

historynutt at yahoo dot com

April 18th, 2005, 2:44 pm #3

I far more expect this to be a kind of new beginning !
People who feel uncomfortable with this small change (which in fact is a big improvement !) should feel free to stay away from this site, I won´t !
I 'enlistened' immediately (which didn´t hurt btw), and I will follow additional regulations as well if need is, to keep this site free of all kind of freaks.
The only thing I don´t understand is why some people always feel the need to complain and imply a problem where there isn´t any at least ...
My 2 cents,

Stefan

Brad Butkovich
Brad Butkovich

April 18th, 2005, 2:53 pm #4

Like I said, its a prediction. I myself will login and continue to use ML.

Many people won't.

For modeling to survive we as a hobby need to be inclusive, not exclusive, which is what this will imply. New modellers may not take the time to check out the forums if they have to login. Many current visitors won't want the percieved hassle and decline to do so. Its simple human nature.

Therefore, with fewer experts and people willing to share information, photos, and tips, the site's usefullness will decline.

Like I said, I'm not casting judgement one way or the other, just making an unfortunate prediction based on human nature. Hopefully I will be wrong.

-Brad

Peter Brown
Peter Brown

April 18th, 2005, 2:53 pm #5

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Compulsory Registration to the Missing-Lynx Discussion Boards<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></B>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">We are implementing compulsory registration to the Missing-Lynx discussion boards as an additional security measure to protect visitors to the site.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Step 1<o:p></o:p></B>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">The first step is to create an account with Network 54. Some of you may already have one of these and it simply means that when you post messages it shows your username and, if you wish, your e-mail address.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">To create an account, simply click on ‘Create Account’ on the grey toolbar at the top of the index on any of the discussion boards. A verification e-mail will be sent to the e-mail address you provide and, once you have received this and followed the link within it, you will have a Network 54 account.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Step 2<o:p></o:p></B>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">The second stage is thus for all persons with a Network 54 account.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">Log-in to your account on any of the discussion boards. While logged in, click on the URL below:

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">http://www.network54.com/Group/76465

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">This should show you a table entitled ‘Missing-Lynx members’. This is the name of the membership group you will now be applying to. Click on ‘Apply to this group’. If it does not say ‘Apply to this group’, but says instead ‘You need Network 54 account to apply to this group’ this means that you have either not created a Network 54 account (see Step 1 above), or that you are not logged in on one of the discussion boards. Log in to one of the discussion boards and then refresh the page URL above.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">When you click on ‘Apply to this group’, it will confirm your e-mail address. You will then be sent an automatic e-mail which contains a verification key. Follow the key link provided in this e-mail and you will be automatically approved as a member of the Missing-Lynx members group.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">As of Wednesday 20 April, anybody who is not a member of this Missing-Lynx members group will only be able to read the discussion boards. You will not be able to post any messages. You will still be able to view this message and thus apply to become a member.

missing-lynx team
For what it is worth and this is only my own reaction, I will not be registering.
I can see why it might be necessary but personally I find it all one more bind I do not need.
Each to their own, but count me out.

April 18th, 2005, 3:08 pm #6

Like I said, its a prediction. I myself will login and continue to use ML.

Many people won't.

For modeling to survive we as a hobby need to be inclusive, not exclusive, which is what this will imply. New modellers may not take the time to check out the forums if they have to login. Many current visitors won't want the percieved hassle and decline to do so. Its simple human nature.

Therefore, with fewer experts and people willing to share information, photos, and tips, the site's usefullness will decline.

Like I said, I'm not casting judgement one way or the other, just making an unfortunate prediction based on human nature. Hopefully I will be wrong.

-Brad

I followed the new rules, but think it may have an adverse effect on the site.

April 18th, 2005, 3:09 pm #7

n/t

David Nickels
David Nickels

April 18th, 2005, 3:23 pm #8

I'm not passing judgement one way or the other. Just an observation/prediction.

This, coupled with the recent picture restrictions, spells the end of ML as THE premier armor modeling forum.

-Brad

I can't see where it is such an imposition. As I noted on another page here, Hyperscale already has you do exactly the same thing... set up a Network 54 account then apply for membership access. And, you know what... it WORKS. The boards on Hyperscale with the access requirement now are much more civil, without the few but annoying trolls, flame wars, fake posts and id's, etc.

It is no worse than being a member of something like Yahoo groups... same thing... sing up for an account and get membership access from the moderator.

Or even just email... get an account and log in.

If someone is too lazy to sign up once, which takes under a minute, then that is just sad. Just think... they spend 9 hours building Model Kasten tracks but cant type in their email addy one or two times.

April 18th, 2005, 3:56 pm #9

missing-lynx team
When I registered with network54 after several attempts at registering I finally received an e-mail accepting my details but when I opened the link provided I get the following message. "Verification Failure
You did not provide a valid link to verify your account. This can happen if you have multiple Network54 accounts." As far as I remember I have never registered before. To add to the confusion when I replied to this message I was told that I was in fact logged on with my user name.

Peter

April 18th, 2005, 3:59 pm #10

The instant registration didn't work for me either. I tried twice while logged on and never got the email that is supposed to be sent.

Any ideas?