Composition Time Opinions Needed

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Composition Time Opinions Needed

October 27th, 2010, 6:13 am #1

Hi all,
time to start bring all the pieces of my desert dio together. I have always been fascinated by the pics of abandoned aircraft in the western desert.
This is my third desert dio, the jeep is from Tamiya with the Blackdog SAS resin set, the figures are Evolution miniatures and are fabulous, today I received in the post Red Zebra's camels, do your self a favour, get some, I love them.
The aircraft are recycled Hasegawa Bf109 F's and Tamiya Bf109 E's with Cavalier and CMK engine sets all primed and ready to be painted once I can get the final composition right in my head.
The first idea was to have the SAS officers looking over a dune with the aircraft half buried in the sand, but on bringing the elements together I am thinking more towards leaving the dune out.
Opinions and ideas please guys.
How do you think it will work best?

Cheers
Jamie

October 27th, 2010, 9:44 am #2

Hi
Raise the Jeep on higher ground, overlooking the bits - to gain interest and as the figs are smaller. Then poss put a small raise dune in ...?

Andrew

October 31st, 2010, 4:52 pm #3

Hi all,
time to start bring all the pieces of my desert dio together. I have always been fascinated by the pics of abandoned aircraft in the western desert.
This is my third desert dio, the jeep is from Tamiya with the Blackdog SAS resin set, the figures are Evolution miniatures and are fabulous, today I received in the post Red Zebra's camels, do your self a favour, get some, I love them.
The aircraft are recycled Hasegawa Bf109 F's and Tamiya Bf109 E's with Cavalier and CMK engine sets all primed and ready to be painted once I can get the final composition right in my head.
The first idea was to have the SAS officers looking over a dune with the aircraft half buried in the sand, but on bringing the elements together I am thinking more towards leaving the dune out.
Opinions and ideas please guys.
How do you think it will work best?

Cheers
Jamie

This is a very cool idea, and one I have not seen before. Just my two cents: I would definitely not use the sand dune. It simply blocks the two major components from each other. You want to link them, not cut then away from each other.

My suggestion would be to move the jeep, SAS guys and arab closer to the center of the base, and use the same conversational grouping you have now. Then move the aircraft hulks around a bit so that the SAS guys are in the midst of them, as opposed to looking at them from 'outside' somehow. I would angle the aircraft fuselages a bit to make it a little less orderly. You want it to look abandoned, right? So it should not be neat, even though they are german

Danny Egan
President
AMPS
http://www.amps-armor.org

November 1st, 2010, 12:46 am #4

Danny your right, the idea at the start was to incorporate a sand dune but it just doesn't seem to work, it does seperate the action.
To ad to this all the pics I have show flat stone desert, what we call Gibber desert in Australia. I like your ideas will try them out this afternoon, thanks.

Cheers
J

November 2nd, 2010, 5:51 pm #5

I'm not sure if you would find an aircraft graveyard in an area that the SAS was working in, except just after they raided an airfield! From what I read in Ernie Pyle's Here is Your War, the Germans and the Americans were quite aggressive and active in recovering downed aircraft way out in the desert for the parts. Aggressive enough that if a German plane was known to be down in no man's sand, then American recovery crews would be on their way ASAP to keep the scrap from the Germans, and likewise, Germans went after allied stuff for the same reason. And it wasn't just for keeping the crash parts out of the parts yard, but it was also to look for improvements in enemy aircraft that should be known by intelligence officers.

I would think that if you were allied and you ran into a graveyard like that it would be after the Germans had been forced out of an area and had to abandon those hulks, which also means that the reason for the SAS to be there is gone, too!

But, heck, if its fun, do it any way. One thing I know is that if you reason like I just did someone will show up with 50 photos of the very thing that seems improbable!