COMPETITION 2016-17 - NEW OWNERS - Week 2 of 28...

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

COMPETITION 2016-17 - NEW OWNERS - Week 2 of 28...

October 7th, 2016, 9:32 am #1

The Competition is open to all, here are the parameters...

1) There is no time scale or armament type, it can be any sort of armament, tank, artillery, self propelled guns, troop transports, lorries etc., from any era starting from 1900 to present day. So a wide variety of types to choose from.

2) Those using the armament must be different from the intended end users. This can be because the armament is captured, purchased by another end user, scrounged, lent or 'aquired'. For example a PzKpfw IV was designed and intended for the German Army, however it was sold to Spain and Syria, supplied to Bulgaria and Croatia, captured by the Allies, so these latter named countries were 'New Owners', I hope this illustrates the scope of the competition.

3) The time scale is from now to the beginning of April next year, the competition is intended to be a bit of fun and done at a more leisurely pace. There is no starting criteria, just join in as and when you like, show some progress shots and keep us up to date with your build at intervals - no need for weekly updates. The feature will appear each Friday, as did the Shelf Queen Challenge, and will just be a general invitation to show any progress you may have made.

4) There will be a prize for the best model, as voted for by the members. Also a lottery prize to be drawn for (by my good wife) out of the remaining entrants in the final Gallery. The prize for the best model will be the Dragon Tiger I with Panzer Aces, the lottery prize will be a choice of OKB items from a list I will provide.

Post any updates here...
Last edited by PAUL GILES on October 7th, 2016, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

October 7th, 2016, 2:29 pm #2

...got a drawing of the top so have been calculating dimensions, will be able to cut plastic soon!!

Got a suggestion; someone asked in one of the GB posts how long the build was, so why not include that in the title? Like this; "GB - purple tanks - week 2 of 16" This way when one gets some inspiration we won't jump in with a week to go!!
Thanks
"Never forget your weapons are made by the lowest bidder!?"
G = Graham.

October 7th, 2016, 4:01 pm #3

The Competition is open to all, here are the parameters...

1) There is no time scale or armament type, it can be any sort of armament, tank, artillery, self propelled guns, troop transports, lorries etc., from any era starting from 1900 to present day. So a wide variety of types to choose from.

2) Those using the armament must be different from the intended end users. This can be because the armament is captured, purchased by another end user, scrounged, lent or 'aquired'. For example a PzKpfw IV was designed and intended for the German Army, however it was sold to Spain and Syria, supplied to Bulgaria and Croatia, captured by the Allies, so these latter named countries were 'New Owners', I hope this illustrates the scope of the competition.

3) The time scale is from now to the beginning of April next year, the competition is intended to be a bit of fun and done at a more leisurely pace. There is no starting criteria, just join in as and when you like, show some progress shots and keep us up to date with your build at intervals - no need for weekly updates. The feature will appear each Friday, as did the Shelf Queen Challenge, and will just be a general invitation to show any progress you may have made.

4) There will be a prize for the best model, as voted for by the members. Also a lottery prize to be drawn for (by my good wife) out of the remaining entrants in the final Gallery. The prize for the best model will be the Dragon Tiger I with Panzer Aces, the lottery prize will be a choice of OKB items from a list I will provide.

Post any updates here...
Hi there,

I have a couple of BTR-152s in my stash. As I Google more information about this vehicle, I learned that the Israelis captured and used a lot of their enemies' vehicles. Among them were were BTR-152s armed with the ZU-23-2s. Though it's really hard to get a good photo reference, I plan to model one. Initially, I planned to use Model Miniature's ZU-23-2 but when I inspected the parts, they were poorly molded and contains lots of air bubbles. Hardly usable (if any) without major scratch building. Really very disappointing. I've decided instead to use a ZU-23-2 from Gran. Here is a picture of my starting point.

I am getting ambitious and plan to include this in a diorama with the Israeli soldiers in or around the vehicle so that I can justify this as my entry. Wish me luck!

-Joseph

October 7th, 2016, 9:19 pm #4

...got a drawing of the top so have been calculating dimensions, will be able to cut plastic soon!!

Got a suggestion; someone asked in one of the GB posts how long the build was, so why not include that in the title? Like this; "GB - purple tanks - week 2 of 16" This way when one gets some inspiration we won't jump in with a week to go!!
Thanks
Hi Graham,

It is noted in the parameters, until the beginning of April, but just for you I will put the week tally in the heading. If you haven't anything much to post, don't worry, again in the parameters I say there is no need for a weekly update for this, it is meant to be relaxed and fun.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

October 9th, 2016, 12:12 am #5

Hi there,

I have a couple of BTR-152s in my stash. As I Google more information about this vehicle, I learned that the Israelis captured and used a lot of their enemies' vehicles. Among them were were BTR-152s armed with the ZU-23-2s. Though it's really hard to get a good photo reference, I plan to model one. Initially, I planned to use Model Miniature's ZU-23-2 but when I inspected the parts, they were poorly molded and contains lots of air bubbles. Hardly usable (if any) without major scratch building. Really very disappointing. I've decided instead to use a ZU-23-2 from Gran. Here is a picture of my starting point.

I am getting ambitious and plan to include this in a diorama with the Israeli soldiers in or around the vehicle so that I can justify this as my entry. Wish me luck!

-Joseph
Will be following along.
Andy Smith
Worcester, UK
обезьяны собираются к звездам