COMPETITION 2016-17 - NEW OWNERS -Week 1...

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

COMPETITION 2016-17 - NEW OWNERS -Week 1...

October 1st, 2016, 3:39 pm #1

The Competition is open to all, here are the parameters...

1) There is no time scale or armament type, it can be any sort of armament, tank, artillery, self propelled guns, troop transports, lorries etc., from any era starting from 1900 to present day. So a wide variety of types to choose from.

2) Those using the armament must be different from the intended end users. This can be because the armament is captured, purchased by another end user, scrounged, lent or 'aquired'. For example a PzKpfw IV was designed and intended for the German Army, however it was sold to Spain and Syria, supplied to Bulgaria and Croatia, captured by the Allies, so these latter named countries were 'New Owners', I hope this illustrates the scope of the competition.

3) The time scale is from now to the beginning of April next year, the competition is intended to be a bit of fun and done at a more leisurely pace. There is no starting criteria, just join in as and when you like, show some progress shots and keep us up to date with your build at intervals - no need for weekly updates. The feature will appear each Friday, as did the Shelf Queen Challenge, and will just be a general invitation to show any progress you may have made.

4) There will be a prize for the best model, as voted for by the members. Also a lottery prize to be drawn for (by my good wife) out of the remaining entrants in the final Gallery. The prize for the best model will be the Dragon Tiger I with Panzer Aces, the lottery prize will be a choice of OKB items from a list I will provide.

Post any updates here...
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

October 2nd, 2016, 12:00 pm #2

...since these were American designed and bought by Canada the 'new owner'. In fact I think the TUA was a Norwegian idea that Canada picked up!? Not much pic worthy so far, rather than cut off the tools & other bits on the roof I made a new one from plasticard, this kit is the Trumpeter A2. The ambulance will be made from the S-Model kit.

I have a question for the group; can anyone tell me where exactly the TUA turret was located on the roof? I don't have any plans and cannot find anything on the net that gives me a top view!!
Thanks
"Never forget your weapons are made by the lowest bidder!?"

October 2nd, 2016, 2:10 pm #3

which might shed some light:

October 2nd, 2016, 2:26 pm #4

1) There is no time scale or armament type, it can be any sort of armament, tank, artillery, self propelled guns, troop transports, lorries etc., from any era starting from 1900 to present day. So a wide variety of types to choose from.

2) Those using the armament must be different from the intended end users. This can be because the armament is captured, purchased by another end user, scrounged, lent or 'aquired'. For example a PzKpfw IV was designed and intended for the German Army, however it was sold to Spain and Syria, supplied to Bulgaria and Croatia, captured by the Allies, so these latter named countries were 'New Owners', I hope this illustrates the scope of the competition.

3) The time scale is from now to the beginning of April next year, the competition is intended to be a bit of fun and done at a more leisurely pace. There is no starting criteria, just join in as and when you like, show some progress shots and keep us up to date with your build at intervals - no need for weekly updates. The feature will appear each Friday, as did the Shelf Queen Challenge, and will just be a general invitation to show any progress you may have made.

4) There will be a prize for the best model, as voted for by the members. Also a lottery prize to be drawn for (by my good wife) out of the remaining entrants in the final Gallery. The prize for the best model will be the Dragon Tiger I with Panzer Aces, the lottery prize will be a choice of OKB items from a list I will provide.

Post any updates here...
Hello all, I am planning to build the M48A5 Molf as it serve in the Hellenic Army or in the national guard in Cyprus, at least that is my plan! I am going to use the kit from revell and it need some more work to return as A5 Molf, I will use wheels and tracks from OKB Grigorov, and decals from LM Decals. It looks like that it will be a challenge to have a good result as I want. There is no serious work yet, except i start cleaning some parts and try to see how to add the new wheels on the kit, it is first time that I try something like that, so if there is any advice please share it.'
The kit and the wheels....

Have fun,
Dimitrios
Last edited by DimitriosMoschidis on October 2nd, 2016, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 2nd, 2016, 3:23 pm #5

which might shed some light:
I am looking for, but thanks for the effort! The Canadian & Norwegian version had a turret with a launcher arm on each side and a lot of weird shaped boxes because of the reinforcing bars welded to the roof!?

October 2nd, 2016, 4:37 pm #6

As photos of the real thing seem rarer than rocking horse droppings, Try an Image search for
Legend Productions TUA conversion set in 35th.
http://www-legend.co.kr/portfolio/lf128 ... kattempt=1

October 2nd, 2016, 4:50 pm #7

...what I am trying to find is a top shot preferably without the turret so I can locate it's position. As I mentioned I have made a new roof out of plasticard and now need to cut the hole for the turret. I have made some guesses but would prefer to be a bit closer to correct. I may have a solution in that I know a chap who is big into 35th conversions and he could have a plan so I will e-mail him and ask.
Thanks

October 2nd, 2016, 5:23 pm #8

Post any updates here...
During Market Garden in September 1944 quite a lot of Jeeps and some Universal Carriers switched ownership. As a start for this competition I'll be starting with a Jeep captured by German forces. When time permits I'll add and Universal Carrier.
As a basis the Airfix Airborne Jeep will be used. For the Universal Carrier the IBG kit will do the trick.

October 2nd, 2016, 6:13 pm #9

Hello all, I am planning to build the M48A5 Molf as it serve in the Hellenic Army or in the national guard in Cyprus, at least that is my plan! I am going to use the kit from revell and it need some more work to return as A5 Molf, I will use wheels and tracks from OKB Grigorov, and decals from LM Decals. It looks like that it will be a challenge to have a good result as I want. There is no serious work yet, except i start cleaning some parts and try to see how to add the new wheels on the kit, it is first time that I try something like that, so if there is any advice please share it.'
The kit and the wheels....

Have fun,
Dimitrios
I read in a German buildblog that there are some issues with parts. Suspension arms to far away from hull and some wheels have pins instead of holes. tracks are wider then the Italeri ones. Dryfit the parts carefully before you glue something.
Regards from Vienna
Robert

October 2nd, 2016, 6:25 pm #10

Thank you Robert for the reply, i saw that i have to cut and remove some pins and i think i will need to build also something to put it straight!! It looks like it is not so easy after all!!! I hope the result to be good in the end!!