Colours of the first DR Tigers

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Colours of the first DR Tigers

June 15th, 2017, 9:03 pm #1

The colours of the first Tigers sent to SS units are puzzling. Take, for example, "TIKI" of Das Reich. Multiple publications and illustrations show it as Dunkelbelb over dark grey. But it doesn't look like that to me.

Does anybody know the origin of this information?

David

June 15th, 2017, 11:41 pm #2

Another question is how many of these early tigers are in ral 8000/7008 or with the dark grey? Have a look at Stug III'S AND PZKPFW IV f/g they are from a similar time line and a large number are in 8020/7027 or 8000/7008 so is possible that the tigers would be similar.
Just a thought from looking at loads of photos
Have fun
Wayne

June 16th, 2017, 12:58 am #3

The colours of the first Tigers sent to SS units are puzzling. Take, for example, "TIKI" of Das Reich. Multiple publications and illustrations show it as Dunkelbelb over dark grey. But it doesn't look like that to me.

Does anybody know the origin of this information?

David
it looks like it's grey over yellow, but it's not. I thought that all their tiger's were Dec. builds and they were not set to go to Africa like LAH was. LAH should have been tropical painted because they were going to go to Africa during 42, but it got cancelled due to the crisis in the East. Also, the other side doesn't look like the more photoed side. Also there are close ups and you can see the yellow was applied. See how shinny it is. Looks like it was freshly painted where the darker one is dull. It's late Winter. There is still snow on the ground, though not in this picture, which is why the boots on a couple of guys.

Now, how they got away with it painted that way when the SS were very strict with following orders is beyond me sense the others were painted as told.
Last edited by Ron Hetherington on June 16th, 2017, 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.