Colouring natural leafs

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Colouring natural leafs

May 3rd, 2012, 2:07 am #1

I have 5 Silver Birches outside my garden, on the towpatch and when the spring season is here, well I am able to get containers full of miniature leafs.Which is kinda cool.
Anyways, I need quite a few to be in an orangey/brown autumnal colouring, and I cant really paint each leaf indevidually so after trying a few things, is there anyway I can colour these things in a batch in one go?

I did try some Tamiya and an alcohol mix, I have tried some food colouring with water and some Vallejo and water.Nothing sofar has worked, the paint is blotchy and just sits on the surface, but dont really colour the leaf.
I need something to maybe soak into it?

Any ideas?, I know people sell these things in different colours, so know it can be done.

Jon

May 3rd, 2012, 2:58 am #2

Whatever you can find at a dollar store or similar, put the leaves and the paint in a disposable plastic container and mix, just keep adding paint until you have a color saturation you like, then dump out on a sheet of wax paper, separate the leaves as best you can and let dry.

May 3rd, 2012, 12:02 pm #3

I have 5 Silver Birches outside my garden, on the towpatch and when the spring season is here, well I am able to get containers full of miniature leafs.Which is kinda cool.
Anyways, I need quite a few to be in an orangey/brown autumnal colouring, and I cant really paint each leaf indevidually so after trying a few things, is there anyway I can colour these things in a batch in one go?

I did try some Tamiya and an alcohol mix, I have tried some food colouring with water and some Vallejo and water.Nothing sofar has worked, the paint is blotchy and just sits on the surface, but dont really colour the leaf.

Any ideas?, I know people sell these things in different colours, so know it can be done.

Jon
Try adding a SMALL amount of dish detergent to your water/acrylic mixture for soaking. It should also work to spread them out on a newspaper and airbrush them. Just be sure to hold the airbrush far enough away not to scatter them. Use small amounts of varying colors and keep tossing the leaves about to ensure coverage.

May 3rd, 2012, 2:07 pm #4

Jon
I don't know they type of little dried leaves I colored but I soaked them in some wood prep liquid (you put it on raw wood to make it take stain better) and then put them in a bowl full of thinned enamel paint and let them suck it up. The results came out pretty good, too.
DAVID NICKELS

May 3rd, 2012, 8:45 pm #5

Jon
Hi,

I've used an aerosol colouring and preserving product for natural vegetation.

In NZ it's called Designmaster and it comes in a large range of colours.

Try your local florist or florist supplier.

HTH, Randy

May 3rd, 2012, 9:12 pm #6

Jon
Try leaves from Plus Models. They come in a variety of colors and species.

Leaves are a cool thing to see on vignettes and dioramas as well as leaves scattered about on vehicles.
Leaves also look good in a corner of a building or wall unit.

Frank Blanton

"Fantasy Football,
Dungeons and Dragons for Jocks"

May 4th, 2012, 1:26 am #7

Jon
OK, I am gonna try the ideas, and some fabric dye too, as someone mentioned to me, that could work too.

Jon

May 5th, 2012, 5:59 pm #8

Jon
Hi Jon

though I never tried it on birch leafs, oil colors thinned with white spirit worked for tinting Oregano quite well.
The mix was not much thicker than a washing and I soaked the Oregano in it for a day. Then I spread the stuff out on kitchen foil and left it to dry completely.

cheers

Stefan
Last edited by Stefan Bernet on May 5th, 2012, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FS1

May 6th, 2012, 1:03 pm #9

Jon
use gleycerin or some other type sealant or they will dry up internally and become brittle...can't you paint them once they are fixed to the tree/bush/tank/groundwork, verses this mass-painting approach...??