Colour piping Pz.Jg.Abt. LSSAH Italy?

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Colour piping Pz.Jg.Abt. LSSAH Italy?

December 29th, 2011, 10:19 am #1

I wonder what the colour was of the piping on the shoulder boards of LSSAH Panzerjäger crews in Italy. If I understand this correctly they (Marder crews) belonged to the Panzergrenadier Regiment, so should the piping be green? Thanks in advance.

Arjan

December 29th, 2011, 12:09 pm #2

Hello Arjan,

Like you see here in the order of battle in 1943

http://www.feldgrau.com/1ss.html

Every grenadier regiment had a panzerjager kompagnie and these men would have had green piping. But the panzerjager abt with his 3 kompagnien was independent from them and would have had the pink piping.

greetings and a happy new year

Eddy

December 29th, 2011, 1:01 pm #3

Thanks Eddy, best wishes to you too. Looks like I made the wrong decision (I opted for green piping) and I will have to revise the shoulder boards....

Hartelijke groeten,

Arjan

December 29th, 2011, 3:05 pm #4

Guys I think that the waffenfarbe colour for all W-SS Panzergrenadiere or Infanterie was white - with the only exceptions being for SS-Panzergrenadiere Rgt`s 7 & 8 of the Polizei Division.

December 29th, 2011, 3:28 pm #5

Thanks Stirling, but what makes you think it should be white? Here's a pic of what I assume are the crewmembers of an LSSAH MarderIII M, not that it's terribly helpful....(source: Beeldbank OOII)
[/IMG]

There seems to be more contrast here:
[/IMG]

Arjan
Last edited by ArjanWiskerke on December 29th, 2011, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 29th, 2011, 4:48 pm #6

Guys I think that the waffenfarbe colour for all W-SS Panzergrenadiere or Infanterie was white - with the only exceptions being for SS-Panzergrenadiere Rgt`s 7 & 8 of the Polizei Division.
Hey Sterling,

Untill mid 1940 the official color for all waffen SS men was indeed white. In the "verordungsblatt der waffen SS"of the 5 september 1940 is stated that the new shoulder straps with the new colors of the various branches where available. From that moment the waffen farbe of the army was followed. So pink was the color of the tank and anti-tank units.

Eddy

December 30th, 2011, 2:14 am #7

Thanks Eddy, best wishes to you too. Looks like I made the wrong decision (I opted for green piping) and I will have to revise the shoulder boards....

Hartelijke groeten,

Arjan
Hello arjan,

I found that the Grilles with the torch symbol belonged to panzer grenadierregiment 2 and not to the panzerjagerabt. so green should be correct.

Eddy
Last edited by eddywillems on December 30th, 2011, 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 30th, 2011, 6:28 am #8

The Waffen-SS adopted waffenfarbe arm of service colors based on the Wehrmacht Heer practice but it was nowhere nearly as comprehensive or complicated. Panzergrenadier units continued to wear the white of the Infantry branch rather than the lime green of army PG units. Green in the Waffen-SS was limited to mountain troops and some units of the SS Polizei Division (during its early stage).

Thus there are really only two options for the Panzerjager troops and pink is the most likely.

FWIW,
Ron V

December 30th, 2011, 7:57 am #9

Hello arjan,

I found that the Grilles with the torch symbol belonged to panzer grenadierregiment 2 and not to the panzerjagerabt. so green should be correct.

Eddy
Sorry Arjan, I dont know where my hrad was, I was working on my Grille very late yesterday and I mixed my kit up with the subject of your posting. A grille is not a panzerjager at all. So for a Marder I stay with pink.

Eddy

December 30th, 2011, 8:58 am #10

Hey Sterling,

Untill mid 1940 the official color for all waffen SS men was indeed white. In the "verordungsblatt der waffen SS"of the 5 september 1940 is stated that the new shoulder straps with the new colors of the various branches where available. From that moment the waffen farbe of the army was followed. So pink was the color of the tank and anti-tank units.

Eddy
Hey Stirling
After the posting of Ron Volstad, I searched further in my references and you are right, all the green piping discontinued from 1941 on, just for the mountain troops and the sicherheids dienst it stayed. White is the color for infantry and grenadiere.

Eddy