Colour of WWII U.S. fuel drums.....?

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Colour of WWII U.S. fuel drums.....?

Gary Millias
Gary Millias

July 16th, 2002, 4:48 pm #1

I've just decided to throw a smattering of fuel drums around in a Sherman dio I'm working on. Anyone know if they came soley in O.D. or like today in a variety of colours. Any help would be appreciated.
regards.
Gaz

John Gray
John Gray

July 16th, 2002, 8:10 pm #2

fuel drums, jerry cans, oil drums you name it it was all olive drab and if you are going with a wethered look be sure to rust the drums a bit or something really weathered.

Gary Millias
Gary Millias

July 17th, 2002, 2:26 pm #3

n/t

David A. Kimbrell
David A. Kimbrell

July 21st, 2002, 1:29 am #4

fuel drums, jerry cans, oil drums you name it it was all olive drab and if you are going with a wethered look be sure to rust the drums a bit or something really weathered.
I have no dought that there is a spec for the color of US oil drums, but based on the color pictures I've seen not all were paint OD. Red, blue, green, and yellow come to mind. This is not an opinion, it's based on color pics from WWII, scattered through out various books and videos.

Of course, they may not have all been fuel drums and they might not have all been US, either.

Dak

John Leduc
John Leduc

July 26th, 2002, 9:17 am #5

As the number of authentic, original coloured photos from the Euro theatre of war in WWII are very few and far between, I doubt very much what you saw any coloured barrels.

Can you imagine a brighter, more obvious target colour than red, blue and yellow?

Most everything was standard issue OD or khaki.