Color trouble

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Color trouble

October 19th, 2005, 4:18 am #1

Just painted a T-80 but I think I went too dark. I went with a Tamiya dark green. I am hesitant to repaint as I don't want to cover any small details with excess paint. Is there any way I can make it appear lighter.

October 19th, 2005, 2:34 pm #2

I always paint my models with a dark base coat. You can try misting on a lighter green shade on top, like Tamiya NATO Green. That is a good match for Soviet/Russian green. You just highlight the panels, flat and open areas, middle of wheels, etc. Gives some depth to the model.

You could try drybrushing with lighter shades

Colored oil filters with light greens, tans and yellows will brighten/lighten the model.

Use a bit of pastel weathering to add some depth or lighten the dark green base coat with MiG green lightening pigments.
DAVID NICKELS