color of whippet tank?

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

color of whippet tank?

pascal bastiaens
pascal bastiaens

March 17th, 2004, 6:47 pm #1

Hello,
currently i am building emhar whippet tank; the color to paint is given in FS numbers only; on the box the color is some kind of green; can anyone tell me what shade of green this is? preferably in tamiya colors.
thanks,
pascal bastiaens

David Maynard
David Maynard

March 18th, 2004, 8:44 am #2

Emhar's painting instructions are frequently dubious, and it is more likely that the Whippet was painted a drab brown colour.

This link should give you some help with British WW1 colours and visiting the rest of the site is highly recommended:

http://www.landships.freeservers.com/WW1camo.htm

Site includes an entire article on the Whippet:

http://www.landships.freeservers.com/whippet_info.htm

As a Tamiya equivalent try XF52 Flat Earth.

Hope this helps.

Jakko Westerbeke
Jakko Westerbeke

March 18th, 2004, 10:19 am #3

Hello,
currently i am building emhar whippet tank; the color to paint is given in FS numbers only; on the box the color is some kind of green; can anyone tell me what shade of green this is? preferably in tamiya colors.
thanks,
pascal bastiaens
I'll just repeat my recommendation that you go to Brussels and bring a model paint color chart to hold next to their Whippet... My photos of that tank show (on my screen) a kind of dark olive drab color, but I find it very difficult to put a model paint number to it.

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

March 18th, 2004, 12:14 pm #4

Glad to see people are asking questions about this.

The problem we have is that the one surviving Whippet in its original finish can be seen as either - or both - an olive drab or a dull brown. Recent work on the Landships site suggest that the areas under/around markings are a drab brown akin to that on the Mk IV, and seen on a contemporary model MK VIII in Bovington.

Having gone through the 3 and 6 BN War diaries and the 3 Brigade War diary I've seen no reference to whippets being any different colour to Heavy Tanks. I've also seen no sign that heavy tanks in 1918 were anything other than the brown recorded for 1917, so...

The Diaries do note markings for both battalions, and the use of flags by Section commanders.

I haven't looked at the Brussels Whippet myself yet "in person" and its colour presents a real problem of evidence. If it is Sky-Blue-Pink, were ALL Whippets?

My 1/76th Whippet is the same brown as the Heavies, BUT if anyone shows that Whippets were usually a different colour I'll happily repaint.

BTW - Milicast have re-worked their Whippet now.

Peter Kempf
Peter Kempf

March 18th, 2004, 12:43 pm #5

Philippe Massin, the guy who has photographed the Whippet in Brussels for the Landships site, and has examined it several times, has stated that it is GREEN, although in a hue much changed by the years. (The tank is in it's original WW1 camo.) But he would bet his life on the original vcolour being green. But the exact shade is impossible to tell now, so long after.

I myself, would make it a sort of bland green, not too mid-green or mossy, but with a hint of light brown in it. The colour on the box art looks pretty good to me.

Only my two cents...

/Peter K

March 18th, 2004, 4:09 pm #6

I believe in 1927 the brits sold the Japanese a number of Whippets (8?) were these tanks repainted by the Japanese or just remarked but in the original colour?
As can be seen on other boards I'm scratch building one and I recently purchased the AccArm. release so one of these will be Japanese, Best BobC

a painting aside-i've photographed the Aberdeen Whippet, the interior too, and though very rusted inside it is obvious that the original interior colour of that tank was a gloss white-hatches and doors too.

David Maynard
David Maynard

March 18th, 2004, 4:21 pm #7

It's the one reproduced in Volume 1 of the AJ Press series on Japanese armour.

All you can say from the picture is that the tanks are a monotone which is darker than the uniforms of the crew and accompanying soldiers. I can e-mail a scan if you haven't seen it.

pascal bastiaens
pascal bastiaens

March 18th, 2004, 7:49 pm #8

Hello,
thanks,
pascal bastiaens
Thanks, guys;
I think I put my whippet aside till I got the time to go to Brussels to look for myself. I hope the one overthere is still in its original color.
pascal bastiaens

Bob Collignon
Bob Collignon

March 18th, 2004, 10:26 pm #9

It's the one reproduced in Volume 1 of the AJ Press series on Japanese armour.

All you can say from the picture is that the tanks are a monotone which is darker than the uniforms of the crew and accompanying soldiers. I can e-mail a scan if you haven't seen it.
Thanks David I have the book too and it is also the only ophoto I've seen. Wouldn't a whippet in WWII facing off against a little Stuart be a neat dio if it could be proved:)? Thanks Best BobC

David Maynard
David Maynard

March 19th, 2004, 8:29 am #10

How about one of the Whippets used for training in the early part of WW2 standing next to a Ram or Grizzly?