color of the primer coat?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

color of the primer coat?

Gary Hoyt
Gary Hoyt

November 11th, 2004, 6:22 pm #1

When I model, I usually don't get to the "paint" stage. I enjoy the building part the most, so I don't have that much experience with painting. I do own an airbrush (I will have to dig it out of some box that I shoved it into when I moved). My question (after all this rambling) is this--- I am almost done with a Pz1F that should be painted German panzer gray, I bought some Tamiya German Gray but what color should the primer coat be?? I have read about people using flat black as a primer, but should you use another color instead to make the gray look better?
Any input will help with this matter.

Thanks,
Gary

Greg H
Greg H

November 11th, 2004, 10:17 pm #2

Gary,

Your query would get better results if you had posted in the "Axis WWII" DG.

I'll take a stab at it, if you want to do it like the real deal, you could always get a bottle of Polly Scale's "SPEACIAL OXIDE RED" (#414354) in their "Model Railroad Colors" line - it's an acrylic paint in A 1oz bottle.

hth,
Greg Harting

Rick Purdy
Rick Purdy

November 11th, 2004, 11:42 pm #3

When I model, I usually don't get to the "paint" stage. I enjoy the building part the most, so I don't have that much experience with painting. I do own an airbrush (I will have to dig it out of some box that I shoved it into when I moved). My question (after all this rambling) is this--- I am almost done with a Pz1F that should be painted German panzer gray, I bought some Tamiya German Gray but what color should the primer coat be?? I have read about people using flat black as a primer, but should you use another color instead to make the gray look better?

Thanks,
Gary
Gary-
Primers are now available in a few colors.Whites,black,grays,green,and reds.Polly Scale is fine.Some shades/brands of red auto primer could work also.Bayer AG is a major player for iron oxide(rust) in the paint pigment industry worldwide.Their source for the oxides are the steel mills of the Ruhr valley.I'm 99% sure that they supplied MAN,Henschell,et al with primers and paints throughout WW2.It's a pretty good chance that if you use red primer then you just might be incorporating a panzer's ancester into your build.Cool,huh?
cheers-n-beers on a rainy day
Rick

November 12th, 2004, 8:21 am #4

Thanks,
Gary
I usually use either flat or semi-gloss black as my primer. When using your spraygun the best result is by painting a progressively lighter color until you reach your base color in my opinion, but I'm sure there are more effective techniques!:>! Be sure to use acrylic paint for your primer, it sticks to the surface well.