Cobblestones Painting

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Cobblestones Painting

February 14th, 2009, 12:34 pm #1

Somebody have any good pics or sites where they are painted.

Not all grays are they?

Thanks all.
Jeff

February 14th, 2009, 2:35 pm #2

They're more of a brown than anything. I usually paint them khaki, or tan. I'll then use heavy washes of sepia or vandyke brown to scrub into the cracks to create shadows. After all of that has dried I use combinations of naples yellow, yellow ocher, and unbleached linen to create highlights.
Last edited by JHLong on February 17th, 2009, 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 14th, 2009, 4:55 pm #3

Not all grays are they?

Thanks all.
Jeff
There are tons of images on the internet for you to examine....for sure there are many different shapes and colours and tones.

I am not totally understanding what you are stating...."where they are painted".

Are you looking for images of painted diorama cobblestones or real life painted cobblestones?

Stone come in various shades...cobblestones are not usually painted when they are used as a roadway(maybe on the side or shoulder)...the natural rock colour is what gives the unique pattern (or lack of pattern) to the stones when they are laid.

Here you go...pages and pages....

http://images.google.ca/images?sourceid ... =en&tab=wi

February 14th, 2009, 5:12 pm #4

Thanks a Bunch.

Tired of the plain Grays I see.

February 14th, 2009, 5:15 pm #5

They're more of a brown than anything. I usually paint them khaki, or tan. I'll then use heavy washes of sepia or vandyke brown to scrub into the cracks to create shadows. After all of that has dried I use combinations of naples yellow, yellow ocher, and unbleached linen to create highlights.
That is more like it all I see are Gray or another shade of gray.
I did Goggle the stones and saw all these great colors,so I wondered why nobody paints them that way.
Thanks

Cheers

Jeff

February 18th, 2009, 12:24 am #6

Not all grays are they?

Thanks all.
Jeff
Usually I paint mine individually with different shades of brown, grey, and throw in a few black ones here and there. be sure to do them all and mix up the colors as randomly as possible. After you've done them all (doesn't take as long as you might think) go over with a dark wash or a kind of tan colored wash to represent the dirt/debris-dust that gets between them. I also do this with brick walls, it will make your dio look so much better.

Alex Pistole

"The way to win a war is not to die fighting for your country, it's to make the other poor b@$t*rd die for his"
Last edited by apistole on February 18th, 2009, 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 22nd, 2009, 1:25 pm #7