CO2/Nitrogen Airbrush Source

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

CO2/Nitrogen Airbrush Source

November 23rd, 2017, 11:30 pm #1

I hope someone can help. I have read that some use CO2 or nitrogen for airbrushing and that they have converted a tank they have. I am a scuba diver and have an extra tank that I would like to convert. I have been to the local welding supply stores, explain what I want to do and they look at me like I don't have a clue or say they will not take on the liability of converting it. Hopefully someone can give me explicit directions if it is possible so that I can go back to them, tell them what needs to be done and be able to get it refilled. Thanks.

Stan

November 24th, 2017, 9:05 pm #2

Hi Stan, I've been using an old CO2 bottle for airbrushing for quite some time. If you don't already have a compressed gas bottle (15 to 20lb. will do) you can pick one up at a shop that services and fills compressed gas tanks; ascertain the last date of hydrostatic test (I think it's every 5 years) and ask them to fill it with CO2. You'll need a pressure gauge/adjustment knob for controlling pressure, some cheap brass fittings and the air supply hose. I have never used a water/vapor filter and recall no problems there. Make sure you chain your bottle to a substantial base if it doesn't have the permanent protective collar around the valve - accidentally knock that valve head off and the bottle becomes an unguided missile! Good luck to you!

November 24th, 2017, 11:11 pm #3

I hope someone can help. I have read that some use CO2 or nitrogen for airbrushing and that they have converted a tank they have. I am a scuba diver and have an extra tank that I would like to convert. I have been to the local welding supply stores, explain what I want to do and they look at me like I don't have a clue or say they will not take on the liability of converting it. Hopefully someone can give me explicit directions if it is possible so that I can go back to them, tell them what needs to be done and be able to get it refilled. Thanks.

Stan
I tried to take a CO2 cylinder I owned and have it filled, but all the welding supply shops I went just exchanged tanks that they lease. They wouldn't touch a tank that wasn't theirs. I ended up leasing a tank and taking the other one to recycling.

Generally different gas cylinders have completely different fittings so they don't ever get mixed up when filling.

You can use scuba gas if you have a source for it, you just need to come up with a fitting on the regulator to fit an airbrush hose (usually 1/4" NPT)

November 25th, 2017, 3:07 pm #4

Stan
Stan,
I had success in getting an out of date 20lb cylinder pressure tested and filled with CO2 at a business that specialized in fire extinguisher system installation/maintenance. Like was said above, the local welding supply companies would not refill a cylinder that was out of date nor would they pressure test the cylinder. Just another avenue to try.

John
John Charvat
President, Armor Modeling & Preservation Society

November 30th, 2017, 12:54 am #5

Stan