Clear coat before blending?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Clear coat before blending?

July 15th, 2006, 4:07 am #1

Hi Guys,

My question is, should I clear coat before blending oil paints? I have base coated my model in Tamiya acrylics, should I use Tamiya clear over it. If I do use Tamiya clear will it be a problem with oil and humbrol thinner? Thanks

-John

July 15th, 2006, 1:12 pm #2

It might not be necessary either.

I paint my models with several brands of paint (Humbrol, Tamiya, Gunze and Model Master enamels and acrylics) and do not use a clear coat before weathering. I use Turpenoid (not Turpentine!) and oil washes with no problems what so ever.
DAVID NICKELS

July 15th, 2006, 6:13 pm #3

Hi Guys,

My question is, should I clear coat before blending oil paints? I have base coated my model in Tamiya acrylics, should I use Tamiya clear over it. If I do use Tamiya clear will it be a problem with oil and humbrol thinner? Thanks

-John
Hello John
I would recommend a satin clear coat before applying any washes or blended oils. The clear will help to protect the acrylic base coat from the oils and enamel thinners.

The clear will also give your base coat more a polished aged weathered appearance in conjunction with the washes and other weathering steps.

Sincerely
ANPW

July 16th, 2006, 2:12 am #4

Hi Guys,

-John
Thanks David and Adam,

I just put a fine satin finish of my T-55. Again thanks for the help.

-John